Slightly catching, poly-coated neck - solutions?

What's Hot
LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
edited July 2018 in Making & Modding
I've got a guitar with a lovely neck, but it's poly coated - perfectly fine in most scenarios but the recent heatwave and comparison to a smooth nitro coated neck has really brought home the shortcomings.

The guitar is black, so any kind of abrasion is going to be very obvious - but I'm not sure what other choices I have?

Thanks,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    One of mine had a draggy neck, a good coat of a good wax (carnauba car wax, just what I had to hand) helped loads, a second going-over made it better too. Also I'm in the habit of using baby powder on my left paw. Might or might not work for you but it's a couple of cheap & easy things that don't change the guitar.

Another option though you might not fancy it is take it back to a satin-like sheen - I use Trizact 3000 pads because I have them, there'll be other similar things out there. These are foam backed, flexy, 3k grit so very fine. Little drop of water to help it along.
    Just knocks the gloss back somewhat, nothing like full sanding or anything like that. Can be reversed with a bit of t-cut, and with use it'll probably gloss up anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • On the strength of that, tried out some scouring pads and as you said - not taken it down but taken the 'stick' off. Cheers!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Excellent :)