The photography thread

What's Hot

Comments

• here is something you off the beaten track creatives might like, my friend Victor interviewing the inspiring Yoshi Imamura

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited September 2018
    I just thought I would share some of my HDR piccies....

Beamish Museum... (Lumix TZ-20)

Southern Cape, South Africa... (Samsung Galaxy S6)

Kirkstall Abbey, Leeds... (Nikon D200)

My wee Westie, Pippi.... (Sony Xperia XZ Premium)

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Not seeing your pics @Wolfetone ;
     :/ 
  • boogieman said:
    I can? Only looking on iPhone thoough
    How very rock and roll
    boogieman said:
    I’m on iPhone too, but I’m just seeing small empty squares.  :/
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    I’m on iPhone too, but I’m just seeing small empty squares.  :/
    That's all I'm seeing too on iPad.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Flickr mobile doesn't let me embed... 

https://flic.kr/p/28cjCEw ;

From the other day. Shooting with a 24mm 1970s lens (or 80s maybe?) - the tamron adaptall 24mm 2.5. Wish there was a small, fast 24mm for dx format - the 24mm 1.8 is fairly large. A dx 24mm f/2 would probably be a bit smaller... 
    Flickr mobile doesn't let me embed... 

From the other day. Shooting with a 24mm 1970s lens (or 80s maybe?) - the tamron adaptall 24mm 2.5. Wish there was a small, fast 24mm for dx format - the 24mm 1.8 is fairly large. A dx 24mm f/2 would probably be a bit smaller... 
    That link has an error come up and says page not found.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

A couple of my favourite candid/street shots

A few from a photo course I did at Brooklands last weekend, courtesy of an early birthday present from my wife.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76 said:

Let's try again...

Not the sharpest lens in the world, but it definitely has a different look to more modern lenses - the colours are softer and more mute, and the out of focus stuff is "busier" - some would say that's a bad thing, but it's certainly interesting. Straight aperture blades means hexagons :) 

Lastly, a shot from work on my break. Took it on my mobile phone (Nokia 8), edited in lightroom mobile and exported. As I'm shooting more and more again I'm finding the real limitation is often not my equipment, but me. 

I dislike using my big bulky DSLR so I'm thinking of trading in for a Sony A7ii or a Fuji of some kind - this will let me adapt vintage lenses easier (I already have a few) and I'm more used to older, smaller cameras anyway so handling will be nicer.  No doubting the quality from the Nikon, though...
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100

There's some great photographs in this thread.... keep them coming!

Three from a trip to Duckpool Beach, watching the sun setting in Cornwall about a week or so ago....

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    zepp76 said:

Let's try again...

Not the sharpest lens in the world, but it definitely has a different look to more modern lenses - the colours are softer and more mute, and the out of focus stuff is "busier" - some would say that's a bad thing, but it's certainly interesting. Straight aperture blades means hexagons :) 

Lastly, a shot from work on my break. Took it on my mobile phone (Nokia 8), edited in lightroom mobile and exported. As I'm shooting more and more again I'm finding the real limitation is often not my equipment, but me. 

I dislike using my big bulky DSLR so I'm thinking of trading in for a Sony A7ii or a Fuji of some kind - this will let me adapt vintage lenses easier (I already have a few) and I'm more used to older, smaller cameras anyway so handling will be nicer.  No doubting the quality from the Nikon, though...
    Lovely. The second and third are very nice indeed!
    Budgie said:

Three from a trip to Duckpool Beach, watching the sun setting in Cornwall about a week or so ago....

@Budgie those are cracking. :)  
    boogieman said:
    Budgie said:

@Budgie those are cracking. :)  
    @boogieman Cheers mate! The light was quite kind to me :)
  • The light hasn't been great around here this week but I grabbed a few shots in Westbay the other day.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Some more great pics added, there really are some great compositions. I still haven't managed to get out yet but my spending hasn't stopped! I've just taken possession of a Pentax K1000 35mm SLR that I'll be using Black&White film with. I've ordered some Ilford XP2 400 iso to use but if anyone knows of a better film that can be developed easily then please let me know. Because I suffer from quite serious mental health issues I struggle to get out but I'm hoping this new hobby will help with that although I may struggle with the street photography that I'm interested in, being in a crowded high street is pretty much my worst nightmare but I really want to have a go at the kind of candid shots that have been posted in this thread. Please keep the photo's coming, they truly are inspiring.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited September 2018
     XP2 is ok, and back in the day I used to keep a box of 120 in the bag, but as a chromogenic film with C41 process it’s never going to give quite the same look as a true B/W film.

For easily processed and scanned negatives it does offer a fairly good solution, especially with regards to ICE, and from the lab’s point of view it will be handled almost the same as colour film.

Ilford HP5 would be my choice of film for its granular structure and push/pull capabilities, along with flexibility once scanned.

I have to say though that along with almost every other pro photographer I know, I stopped shooting film around 15 years ago and switched to digital as it’s so much cheaper and makes more sense, especially as most of the film processed these days ends up being scanned and digitised anyway! 

The main thing though is actually forget all of that, get out there with your camera and just enjoy it as a hobby, and don’t disappear down the rabbit hole of technicalities.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I know one semi-pro guy who still insists on shooting 35mm but he still uses digital as well. There is something special about the quality of b&w pics shot on film, but it’s an expensive and time consuming process, unless you can do it yourself. It’s also a royal pain in the arse as you never know what you’ve got in the can until it’s too late. Film nowadays seems to be the domain of geeks or hipsters who buy “vinyls”.... give me digital every time.

Having said all that I love old film cameras and have a collection in my mancave. You can pick up gear that originally cost £thousands for peanuts. 
  • @zepp76 seriously mate you need to stop spending, get out there and start doing. This is a rewarding hobby and will do wonders for your mental health, I absolutely promise you that. 

If a crowded street triggers your illness don’t start there. You probably don’t want to start there anyways. I’m not a massive fan of landscape stuff but it’s miles easier to go out into a field or a park or a beach and learn what does what with no one around, that’s how I got started - I’m a real beginner by the way so bow to anyone else’s experience on here. 

I’d love to see you getting out there and doing some stuff, anything!!! And if you ever need to talk to a stranger on the internet my inbox is always open. I hope you take this in the positive spirit that it is intended. 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom