Premier League - 2018/2019

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    axisus said:

The deadlock on the top half of the Premiership by the same clubs is a bit dull so anyone outside of those doing well  ( ideally 'doing a Leicester') is what you hope for to make it an interesting year.
    Personally I think that's a bit unfair, after many years of two horse racing I think that we have a pretty competitive league in more recent years. 
    I am a slightly half arsed follower of the premiership but the dominance of half a dozen clubs and the reporting focus on those same clubs doesn't make it an inviting proposition to dig deeper ( even just the MOTD type bias in which other clubs seem to exist only to give Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool something to do. Although Alan Shearer is allowed to speak about Newcastle as a bit of a comic turn). I don't think it's unfair to say that Leicester's success made it more interesting for the less commited observer. I understand that success, and money, tends to perpetuate success and these clubs have all been successful for very long periods now. But it also seems to perpetuate all that is uncomfortable about the modern high level game ( the oligarchs, the prima donna managers ,etc). 

Yes, but compared to all the other top leagues we have a more exciting brand of football and actually more variation at the top and also teams at the bottom who pull off victories. Still, you are entitled to not like it. I for one think that it is the best league in world football, and judging by the TV deals the world agrees.

Having said that. I preferred the old days without the money when it wasn't won with a cheque book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Saints fan here.

Mark Hughes doesn't fill me with great excitement but unlike his predecessor I think he understands that you actually have to score more goals than the other team to win a game.  I'm sure Pellegrino could have been replaced by a tin of posh lemonade and Saints wouldn't have done any worse.

Some interesting signings so far over the summer but I still don't think the strikers are up to par really.

I suspect lower mid table becons at best. 
    You've nailed it pretty well there. Apparently, Targett coming on and playing RB turned the friendly round the other night from 0-2 down to 3-2 win. I thought Fulham would have signed him by now but I hope he stays. I deamt last night I met some saints players - Yoshida, Long, McCarthy and... Andy Carroll. I hope that doesn't happen.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010 said:

I think a lot of people are writing Arsenal off too early. They've made some decent signings in key areas and have a pretty potent attack providing the new manager gets Aubameyang, Lacazette, Ozil & Mkhitaryan firing. They won't win the league but they have a good chance to get back into the top 4.
    Wenger won the title in his second season in charge I think so these things are possible. However I do expect Emery to be given a season or two to mould his side. I've seen in pre-season Aubameyang has been played on the left of a 3 behind Lacazette, so with Ozil and Mkhi it could be quite potent. Still need a bit of deadwood shipping out (Welbeck I'm looking at you) though the majority of the rebuilding needed to be done from the back. If Ramsey doesn't sign a new deal we should sell him and get someone else in.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22952
    underdog said:
    axisus said:

The deadlock on the top half of the Premiership by the same clubs is a bit dull so anyone outside of those doing well  ( ideally 'doing a Leicester') is what you hope for to make it an interesting year.
    Personally I think that's a bit unfair, after many years of two horse racing I think that we have a pretty competitive league in more recent years. 
    Agree, a few years back you knew who was going to finish top 4 and pretty much what order too, now you have Liverpool, Chelsea, arsenal, Man U and spurs fighting for 2nd, 3rd and 4th and hopefully one of them runs city close this year then makes a real challenge next season.

Yes, the power has shifted around a little.  For a while it was a two-horse race between Man U and Arsenal, then it was Man U or Chelsea, with Arsenal and Liverpool making up the top 4.  And now it's very much a top 6 with City and Spurs.  So in a sense it's more open than it used to be.

I think the "worry" (if you care at all) is that the gap between the top 6 and the rest seems to be widening.  Everton used to be pretty much nailed on for 7th every year but now they're unpredictable.  Leicester had one miraculous season and I'd now be pretty confident of them being consistently top 10.  All the rest could flirt with relegation or, weirdly, just a couple of wins could leave then comfortably mid-table.

You could pretty much split it into one league of 6 and another of 14.

• trolleytrolley Frets: 88

As a Liverpool supporter I couldn't comment.

But Ed Woodward's house is up for sale. I presume he's moving to something more exclusive

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Lestratcaster said:

Wenger won the title in his second season in charge I think so these things are possible. 
    Different times, different times. I can't see Arsenal winning the title in the next 5-6 years. Maybe they will prove me wrong, It's not a malicious comment, just what I think.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3627
    Markeebee said:
    Big overhaul going on at West Ham, and I think we're not done yet. Could easily be 7 or 8 new players in the first XI, and some of them look pretty tasty.

Really looking forward to this season for the first time in yonks, but I fully expect the wheels to come off in true West Ham fashion. 

COYI! 
    Exciting times at WHU, although like you I can only see the usual disappointment on the horizon. 

Love to see them do really well though for a change.
  • Flurry of activity at Palace over the last few days. Max Meyer, a good, young player that's had his head and reputation ruined by agents... exactly the sort of lad that Roy is really good at turning around. Could be a huge signing. 

Must must must keep Zaha. Plenty sniffing around, but even if we get the very high price we've set for him at this stage it's too close to the end of the window to really find a proper replacement 

Think we're going to finish top half. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you