What's Hot
kt66kt66 Frets: 315
edited May 2019 in Guitar
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    It's a fairly small percentage as far as I can tell, but a real issue. Not for me personally, but only by timing - I sold my 90s 360/12 to a friend, and a couple of years later the tailpiece broke while the guitar was in its case. I can guarantee it wasn't strung too heavily either, it had the proper RIC strings on it.

The notorious 'tail lift' on the basses is another symptom of the same problem, it's the crap alloy they use for the castings of both parts. My old 4001 has it, as do almost all of them eventually.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited May 2019
    If it's a small percentage, they're a noisy lot. I adore Rickenbackers but something, especially their attitude is lacking. The main reason for this thread is to see how much of an issue it really is.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9548
    Never heard of it genuinely, and I've owned Rickies for years...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    Thanks Waz, does that include 12 string guitars? 
    kt66 said:
    It does indeed... here's mine :)

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6074
    ICBM said:
    The notorious 'tail lift' on the basses is another symptom of the same problem, it's the crap alloy they use for the castings of both parts. My old 4001 has it, as do almost all of them eventually.
    The argument with basses is not if it happens but how much is acceptable. Wouldn't be hard to cure the problem but the one time they attempted it, people complained about the ugly extra screws. Tough crowd.
    kt66 said:
    This mainly affects 12 strings, but heard of some 6 strings too
    Please post if this has happened to you, I am trying to gauge the size of the problem.

thanks 
    What model are you thinking of mate...?
    edited July 2018
    It doesn't seem to affect any particular model, 620/12, 660/12, 330/12, 360/12 I have seen it happen to all. It has, thank god never happened to me.  I sold my 360/12 years ago, had it for 3 years no issues.  
    It doesn't seem to affect 6 strings much.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    I get the impression it's a rare issue, but have read somewhere that you can't buy a new tailpiece until you've sent them the old one, which is a pain in the arse on a gigging guitar. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10480
    tFB Trader
    My second most frequent pickup rewinds are on Ricks ... of all ages (first is Hofner 'staple' pickups). Here, there seems to be a basic reluctance to cure an obvious (and in this case invisible) design flaw on the part of Rickenbacker. It seems so be a similar case with bass bridges ... and probably some guitar bridges. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    According to Wikipedia, they are made of a similar zinc alloy to cheap Strat tremolo blocks. Since I read that, I can't help wondering if one made of decent steel would make a difference to the sound. When I first got my 330, I was a little disappointed that it was "hollow" on the underside, and there wasn't as much metal there as I thought there was.
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 141
    Tends to be the black hardware models in my experience - something to do with the powder coating process. I've seen the tail lift on all colours of hardware though.
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 150
    My second most frequent pickup rewinds are on Ricks ... of all ages (first is Hofner 'staple' pickups). Here, there seems to be a basic reluctance to cure an obvious (and in this case invisible) design flaw on the part of Rickenbacker.
    Could you elaborate?, genuinely curious.
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    My second most frequent pickup rewinds are on Ricks ... of all ages (first is Hofner 'staple' pickups). Here, there seems to be a basic reluctance to cure an obvious (and in this case invisible) design flaw on the part of Rickenbacker.
    Could you elaborate?, genuinely curious.
    I'll post an article about my last Rick rewind with pics ... but in the meantime: Rickenbacker solder the super thin 44awg core wire to the tip of a brass screw that is simply driven through the bottom of the bobbin ... they don't insulate the joint, and they don't give it any strain relief. The coil start output wire is soldered to he other end of that screw, and often that causes the screw to be a bit loose in the plastic bobbin. The core solder joint is then buried in the centre of the windings so that if that delicate solder joint breaks or shorts ... it's game over, and a rewind is necessary. It's crude and sloppy design.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 150

Thanks for the informative reply. And I now know where to send mine if they suffer a similar fate!
    tFB Trader

Thanks for the informative reply. And I now know where to send mine if they suffer a similar fate!
    When I rewind I put in a short strain relief link wire ... and then insulate the whole thing before winding. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    edited July 2018
    My second most frequent pickup rewinds are on Ricks ... of all ages (first is Hofner 'staple' pickups). Here, there seems to be a basic reluctance to cure an obvious (and in this case invisible) design flaw on the part of Rickenbacker. It seems so be a similar case with bass bridges ... and probably some guitar bridges. 
    There is a great reluctance on the part of RIC (ie John Hall) to cure any of the reported problems with their instruments, despite them constantly tweaking the spec for some of the other things which don't need fixing. They simply will not accept outside input, no matter how well-founded or well-meant.

I love the instruments, and *some* aspects of the way the company does business - they're not Gibson, for example! - but I don't think they should be above criticism.

Tends to be the black hardware models in my experience - something to do with the powder coating process. I've seen the tail lift on all colours of hardware though.
    Not only black - my ex 360/12 was a chrome one.

But it is true that the black ones are more prone to failure - the chrome plating is actually part of the strength of the part by making the surface more rigid. But in my opinion this means that the material and/or dimensions of the casting are just too marginal for the purpose, if the plating is enough to make a significant difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    kt66 said:

Yours is one of those WB models... 'With binding' like a V64 but the R tailpiece and modern pups, what year is that? Does it have the twin outputs?

kt66 said:

Yours is one of those WB models... 'With binding' like a V64 but the R tailpiece and modern pups, what year is that? Does it have the twin outputs?
    You got it !

It is a 360/WB and is a 1994 (year) model. The pick ups on this are superb... aggressive but very clear and chimey - different from my previous Ricks. It is a belter, and tuning is superb and stable.

It does have the twin outputs — ‘Rick O Sound’.

Ive added the gold TRC/scracthplate and vintage knobs.

(I much prefer the R tailpeice, which incidently, is affecting my current search for a 330). 
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    There is a great reluctance on the part of RIC (ie John Hall) to cure any of the reported problems with their instruments, despite them constantly tweaking the spec for some of the other things which don't need fixing. They simply will not accept outside input, no matter how well-founded or well-meant.

Keeps me in regular rewind money ... rubs hands together .... shushhhhhhhh