Motivation - what keeps you playing?

What's Hot
LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
edited July 2018 in Guitar
I've been playing guitar for the last 3-4 years (having played as a young teenager 25 yrs ago). My desire to play comes in waves. A few weeks playing is generally followed, for no apparent reason, with 1 month+ of not picked up the guitar at all. This has obviously stalled my progess, 2 steps forward 1.5 steps back type of thing.

Recently, as in the last 4+ months I've been playing more or less everyday. I'd go as far to say I actually look forward to 9pm which is when i have an hour or so to practice. 

I think for me learning new songs and more importantly persevering to learn songs properly, has made the difference. I'm just wondering when my next inevitable break will occur? If at all possible I'd like to postpone it indefinitely.

What motivates you to keep picking up your guitar?

Id be interested to know if anyone else sufferes with semi regular, self imposed gaps in their playing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4809
    I just love the way you need to be in the moment when you're playing - be it practice or performance (even just to the cat). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11858
    I often struggle with this myself, why am I not as good as I should be, I should be practising, RARGHH, etc...

Then I get a moment of clarity and think I'm doing it for fun, so I should be saying "I will pick up a guitar and play it, for it will be fun" and then when it isn't, I'll put it down again.

Progressing and getting better will happen when it happens, but with a young family and a job that sometimes stresses my butt right out, I need to fit guitar into that as a hobby and source of pleasure, not as another responsibility.

I have the same thing with buying the gear if I'm honest, I need to buy gear not to support fantasy gigging I'll probably never do, but to support me having fun at home.

Looking at buying a Vox Handbag for the same reason.

TL/DR, enjoyment motivates me.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LeiversaloneLeiversalone Frets: 345
    A selection of different (or even similar) guitars always keeps my motivation high. Not an option for everyone, but they don't have to be expensive. It's difficult not to play every day when you're excited about what you're picking up.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11328
    I couldn't imagine not playing the guitar. It's not a question of motivation, it's something I love doing and unless I am physically unable to play it there is no reason to stop.

Your level of enthusiasm changes, sometimes it might be a few days between plays but I think that once you get past a certain level (it may be a level of time, competence or near-on addiction) it becomes part of your life.

Besides, how else can you justify gassing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I enjoy it, but do feel stuck in a rut most of the time. The biggest motivator for me is learning new songs for the band - i don't want to turn up to practise and not know the songs, or just muddle through them. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It's not like it's a diet or an exercise regime where I don't want to do it but want the results. If I ever didn't want to play the guitar I just wouldn't. Don't see the point of forcing yourself when it's solely for your own pleasure.

I think the only time I have spare that I don't play the guitar is when I'm playing a different instrument instead lol
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15614
    for me, it's the pleasure I get when I play out. I play fiddle in a couple of community orchestras and to even have a chance of keeping up with the really good players, I have to practise. I've also found a way to afford weekly lessons, just half hour (need longer really, but needs must and all that) and again that really helps with making playing fun.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6733
    edited July 2018
    It's as close as I get to meditation. Doing something creative and a bit of stream of consciousness for the the sake of it with no external pressures on the outcome. It's kept me sane on many a dark night. 

Just had a bit of an illness scare and the first thing I've done since out of hospital is get a tiny cheap parlour acoustic to turn any negativity into awful attempts at blind blake tunes. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24845
    edited July 2018
    scrumhalf said:
    I couldn't imagine not playing the guitar. It's not a question of motivation, it's something I love doing and unless I am physically unable to play it there is no reason to stop.
    This ^

Playing is the only constant in my life - from 8 to 54 years of age it’s been part of me. I’ve ebbed and flowed in terms of how much time I’ve devoted to it at various stages of my life - but as I reach my Autumn years, I find I want to do it more - probably in an effort to reconnect with my youth.

Fortunately I have no hand problems and I think I’m currently playing at least as well as I ever have - I hope I can continue....
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    30 years down the road and I'm still thrilled by the sound when I hit an A chord :)

I limit myself to learning only what excites me, which admittedly would be a problem if I was in a cover band.

But I don't feel that call.  I enjoy what I like and the world can spin on without me.

By accident I learn something new all the bloody time.  Who knew Michael Schenker plays so lightly? :) Or Van Halen bounced around with time so much?  HowTF did Gary Moore get those sounds with a stock Strat and a TS? etc

So much I want to try and play, it's endless :)

I'd recommend be selfish, spend time with the stuff you love :)

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    I play because I play in a band and I need the money! 

That's not to say I don't enjoy it, but if I'm not gigging I tend to fiddle and fart about with guitars for a couple of weeks then I put them away. 

My longest gap is eight years, where I didn't play at all because I had no reason to. 

Apart from the contacts I've made over the years through playing for money I don't really have any musician friends, so if I'm not actually I'm the thick of it myself guitars aren't really a thing which naturally crops up in everyday life. 

I'm the epitome of how Zappa described some musicians - a bunch of mechanics who'd rather be fishing. (Though in my case it's building and riding motorcycles).
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2253
    Case in point I played less when I had smaller children. I've been playing on and off since 1976. I like all the aspects and situations I even played bass when there were too many guitarists.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8751
    Many years ago I realised that music is part of my self definition. Guitar happens to be my instrument of choice. It's not about finding motivation. There are weeks when I don't pick up an instrument because other aspects of life get in the way. Then I return, maybe with reduced dexterity, but with fresher ears.

We once discussed this at a rehearsal. Each of us said that we play, and put up with all the crap of gigging, because we can't not do it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I love playing music, and the guitar allows me to do this.

I feel I've got a much great understanding of music now than I had when I was younger and (I think) making better music.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    Though I have a disability which restricts my playing and don't have the stamina or desire to play in a band, playing is an important part of my life - I play daily, sometimes only 15mins but more often an hour or two. It's stimulating, relaxing, inspiring, often frustrating but always enjoyable. I'm not part of a music scene, don't know any other musicians; it's just something I've always done even though I have zero natural talent or ear (electronic tuners bought about the biggest advance in my playing).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    I play in bands and I also teach so I have to learn material or write exercises, etc for the learner to play. Keeps me inspired to learn new styles and sometimes simplify tricky pieces.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    I suppose I'm lucky as my job and hobby intermingle all the time

I do question who I want to be as a guitar player, in that what style I should play and stick with this for a while - ie 50's Setzer style swing/rock n roll, or Robben Ford jazz/blues, or play classic tunes with a melody/chord approach in a poor man's jazz way as a 'solo guitarist' - I'm easily influenced by to many options
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’ve had several, sometimes quite long periods of not playing at all. I started again about a year ago. I like to think I’ll keep playing, even if I only play once a week, or so..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Interesting to read different points of view. I have never played in a band. The thought of getting up on stage does nothing for me so i play at home for my own amusement.  

This year I feel my playing has improved to the point where I managed to climb out of a rut.
    I'm finding playing easier than I used to so I guess more enjoyable which has meant I'm more likely to play.

Admittedly ive been learning to play songs rather than learning theory and technique, i may well come unstuck due to this at some point.