2»

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    57Deluxe said:
    so you not been in the forces then..?
    No, how did you guess? =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Time for a @Cirrus solo tour? I've always liked listening to your stuff so hope you find something that interests you soon
    Thanks @thecolourbox ; , that's kind of you to say! :) Dunno if you've seen (do you facebook much?) but I've put out three songs, low budget video singles, since March on a "Cirrus" band page.
    Wolfetone said:
    Surely there must be a remnant of the band that can form a core and you can  recruit the missing extra members? If you had a fan base, I'm certain that there'll be folks out there that will pick up the cause?

There is - the bassist is up for carrying on with something new. Which is pleasing, he's been my mate since school was best man at my wedding. The drummer made noises about being up for it, but when push comes to shove, he wasn't.  :/

DLM said:
    Similar boat, man. But your loss sounds much greater than mine. It was only seven years with the band in my case, we managed almost 30 gigs and one album/CD/recording. Not at all sure what to do with myself, partly because I dunno what I want to do.
    It's not great, is it  :/  Something I've learned about myself over the last few years is that when I don't know what to do with myself, I panic and write an album. Which has some advantages, though often in life it's not really that helpful.  :# 

Learn to play/program the other instruments yourself, then record at home. best of luck.

shaunm said:
    @Cirrus congratulations on the successes you had. It’s no small feat to achieve any sort of following and if only the majority knew what had gone into getting to that point.

i feel your pain, it’s hard because what is the next move? Do you have anything you want to personally achieve creatively? If so that has to be the thing that spurs you on. 

What I have done in the down time is work on a solo project, something I’ve always wanted to do but didn’t maybe have the will or confidence to do. 

Perhaps if you have something you want to achieve now is the time?

Thanks both! @shaunm , do you have anything from your solo project available to hear?

Seeing the writing on the wall, falling back onto the above mentioned "write an album" coping strategy, and knowing that there was a possibility I'd lose the practice space, I've not been resting on my laurels the last few months - There's a solo album basically in the bag - recorded, mixed, ready to master. I'm pretty proud of it, and I'd been hoping that with the drummer and bassist supporting me I could hit the ground running. But the drummer dropped out - he just didn't have the time or energy to commit to it any more, and some of the songs are quite complicated. Not, like, jazz or tool or anything but some playing with time sigs, structures etc.

So I guess in a way it puts me in a good place. If I hadn't been working away at the solo thing over the last few months, I'd have a yawning chasm of nothingness before me. If I go down the solo route, that makes some paths clearer for me - find musicians who like the music and are good fits, release and support music. That's maybe a more well defined route than throwing the dice and seeing where they land. I dunno. Still a bit more thinking to do. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Oh well it will give you more time to work on your next band! There's no quitting!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    @Cirrus I think the positive approach is always going to be the right option. I play the guitar because I love it and not because of which band I’ve been in. It’s a creative outlet and regardless of the band you will be able to find a circumstance to support that.

That being said, not having space to turn an AC30 up is a downer. Where did you practice? Old Trafford?
  • @Cirrus , you're not a civilian; you're a veteran.
    shaunm said:
    That being said, not having space to turn an AC30 up is a downer. Where did you practice? Old Trafford?
     =)  It's about the same volume as a rock drummer, nothing too crazy - I tend to end up with the volume on 1/4, which is basically as loud as it gets before it starts to break up. Then volume boosts from pedals can push it all the way  :#
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Cirrus said:
    shaunm said:
     =)  It's about the same volume as a rock drummer, nothing too crazy - I tend to end up with the volume on 1/4, which is basically as loud as it gets before it starts to break up. Then volume boosts from pedals can push it all the way  :#
    I’ve never tried a Vox, I might have to give one a go.