Stratocaster - changing back to Vintage Tuners

On my Stratocaster I would like to change from modern tuners back to vintage type tuners.

However, will the holes for the anchoring screws show?

They are in the oblique position, at sort of 7:30 o'clock...

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/TYrbZRG.jpg)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    Yes, they will show. You will also need to use conversion bushings on the front, and the marks left by the washers from these tuners will show.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    Thanks John - plan aborted.
    Unfortunately that's the most sensible option :(.

I get asked this quite a lot, and the answer is almost always the same - it's usually very hard to cleanly replace modern-style tuners with vintage-style ones - whether it's on modern guitars or vintage ones that have been previously unsympathetically fitted with modern tuners.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    You can get vintage-style tuner buttons. To me, these have the advantages of a modern tuner without the outline of the button offending my eyes.
    edited July 2018
     For me, it’s not the outline of the button that bothers me.

Vintage tuners are 60g lighter than modern tuners.  And I’m pulling out every last possible stop to make my guitar lighter. And yes, I know I’m a psycho. :-)

Unfortunately I’m a bit on the tall side, and in the course of my job I’ve spent the last 25 years examining little old ladies in an eye clinic. It has wreaked absolute havoc on my neck and shoulders :-(

...and so the quest to make my Stratocaster as light as possible.  I have considered a Parker Fly, but I just don’t like the shape...

It’s a pity because my Non Fine Tuner Floyd Rose Strat is otherwise perfect. Looks and sounds beautiful, but just too heavy for me. Nothing short of a fixed bridge or double locking tremolo can match it for tuning stability.
    Try these...

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sgs510z.html

Probably the lightest ones that will fit the footprint and mounting bore.

Thanks John - I'll take a look
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

What is the finish / colour on the neck here @jaymenon ; ?

Roasted maple?

That’s correct, roasted maple.  Unfinished.
     I had a fancy for a very vintage looking neck and so this one might possibly be for sale