Gretsch jack plug problem

lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I have a Gretsch Electromatic Dueojet centre block. Today whilst using it, I removed the guitar lead and the nut and washer of the jack came loose and the socket ended up inside the guitar.Fortunately I have, with the help of our PA guy, managed to fit it back. The problem was that that jack socket is short so only just pokes out the hole in the guitar. Makes it really difficult to grip it whilst putting the nut back on.

Any solutions to this if it happens again? I'll keep an eye on it now and keep it tight, but if it does happen I don't want to get stuck again.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    I use a tool for this made from an old jack plug which I've filed down the body of so a nut will pass over it, attached to a long piece of stiff wire. You push it into the guitar via the jack hole, attach the jack to it through the f-hole, pull it back out then slip the nut over it and tighten it. To fully tighten it, pull the tool out and push a taper reamer into the jack - it will 'bite' enough to stop it turning. You can also hold the jack in place by jamming a knife blade sideways against the thread - a Swiss Army knife is ideal.

If the thickness of the guitar side is too much for a standard jack, you may need a long-thread one - you can get these. If so you might actually need an extra nut on the inside as well to stop it coming through too far. If the jack is not a Switchcraft - it won't be if it's the original - you should probably replace it anyway, for reliability. Make sure there is a shakeproof washer.

I also usually put a small drop of superglue on the thread before I fully tighten the nut just to be sure. If it's a Switchcraft jack it will almost certainly never need replacing again, but if it does you can just heat the nut slightly with a soldering iron.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3175
    tFB Trader
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    ICBM said:
    I use a tool for this made from an old jack plug which I've filed down the body of so a nut will pass over it, attached to a long piece of stiff wire. You push it into the guitar via the jack hole, attach the jack to it through the f-hole, pull it back out then slip the nut over it and tighten it. To fully tighten it, pull the tool out and push a taper reamer into the jack - it will 'bite' enough to stop it turning. You can also hold the jack in place by jamming a knife blade sideways against the thread - a Swiss Army knife is ideal.

If the thickness of the guitar side is too much for a standard jack, you may need a long-thread one - you can get these. If so you might actually need an extra nut on the inside as well to stop it coming through too far. If the jack is not a Switchcraft - it won't be if it's the original - you should probably replace it anyway, for reliability. Make sure there is a shakeproof washer.

I also usually put a small drop of superglue on the thread before I fully tighten the nut just to be sure. If it's a Switchcraft jack it will almost certainly never need replacing again, but if it does you can just heat the nut slightly with a soldering iron.
    My guitar doesn't have f holes sadly which makes the whole process harder. No idea if there was a wahser on the inside as I couldn't see. Only enough jack came out to fit a washer and nut so I couldn't tell. Wonder if it's worth getting the jack changed
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    I just put the nut and washer over a flat screwdrive, jam it into the centre and side of the jack to hold it against the wood and thread the nut and washer.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Just bought one from Stewmac - will be a handy tool I'm sure.