Forensic Guitar Wiring Advice Needed!

What's Hot
robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
edited July 2018 in Guitar
So I don’t know much about guitar electronics! Took a Strat set out of a Tele (wired for 3 single coils) and now I want to put some other pups back in! Trouble is, I don’t know where to stick me wires! 

The following photos show show where I have cut the old pups out, leaving some wire behind and also labelled the ‘hanging’ wire. Even with this, I’m not sure what i’m doing! Both pots are push pull which I imagine brings the middle pup in (the switch is a standard Tele 3 way) but I don’t get it! 

https://i.imgur.com/82y4c9g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PTBpJua.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K94NryZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pRKmRrw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bSoChIJ.jpg

Is is it an impossible task or is there someone on here who likes a challenged? 

Thanks!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Well, you already know that the bulk of your circuit is regular Telecaster PLUS the volume push-pull to add the middle pickup. 

It is difficult to even begin to deduce the intended function of the tone control push-pull pot without a clearer view of its contacts and some information about where the red and black insulated wires used to be connected before they were cruelly chopped.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10602
    tFB Trader
    Jesus that wiring is a mess, a total rat's nest! Me, I'd strip everything off and start wiring again from first principals. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14335
    tFB Trader
    Jesus that wiring is a mess, a total rat's nest! Me, I'd strip everything off and start wiring again from first principals. 
    best option in such circumstances - more logical to take this approach and less time wasted trying solve as is
    tFB Trader
    Is it a three pickup or only two pickup setup you are going to?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Out of curiosity, what exact pickups used to be in the guitar? Single coils, noise-cancelling stacked-coils or something else?

If the Bridge and Neck position pickups were RPRW, by definition, the middle pickup will be in the wrong relationship with one of the other pickups. If this is the case, it would make sense for the tone control push-pull pot to be phase reversal.

If the phase and magnetic polarity relationships are correct, then, the tone control push-pull pot might govern whether the middle pickup is added in series or in parallel with the other two pickups.

The third possibility was a Kill/Mute switch but the output conductors do not connect to the tone pot switch terminals.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader

If the Bridge and Neck position pickups were RPRW, by definition, the middle pickup will be in the wrong relationship with one of the other pickups. If this is the case, it would make sense for the tone control push-pull pot to be phase reversal.

That's not actually correct: a reverse wound reverse polarity pickup will be in phase with a standard wound pickup by virtue of the fact that its reverse wound and reverse polarity. if it were simply reverse wound it would be out of phase, by reversing the magnetic polarity too it is then back in phase and acts as a 'humbucker' when selected with another non RWRP coil.

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    Thanks all! Sounds like i need to start again!

@Funkfingers - it had three normal single coils but I don't remember what the push pull did!

@TheGuitarWeasel - I want three pups (as below)

Ideally, I want to get the usual Tele sounds (I've got a Bareknuckle Boss and a Dimarzio neck to go in) plus just the middle pickup as and when! Can I do that with a 3 way switch and a push-pull? If so, where would I get a wiring diagram? Could the push-pull be wired to take the Tele pickups out and just have the middle? I don't want the 'in between' Strat sounds.

I'm thinking this:

Switch position 1 / push-pull not engaged - just neck pup

Switch position 2 / push-pull not engaged - neck and bridge pup

Switch position 3 / push-pull not engaged - just just bridge pup

All switch positions / push-pull engaged - just middle pup

Is this a dumb idea? Any other suggestions? I want classic Tele sounds but I do love me Strat middle!

edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    I don't really have time to work that switching combo out ... calling @ICBM !!!!

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    Run the switch output to the push/pull on top lug , volume pot lug 1 on common lug, and middle pickup to bottom lug. Wire 3 way switch as usual.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    Thanks @Alegree - much appreciated!