Any soldering guru on here?

What's Hot
mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
Basically my Line 6 Fx100 has been knocked over by one of the childerbeasts and now the headphone and input sockets need waggling about before they work, WAY above my level of expertise. Any ideas who i should use to get it checked? 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Sitting them on the step for a minute for each year of their life is I believe the supernanny way.  I prefer the belt followed by 10 minutes locked in the dark spider shed.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605
    Maybe contact the shop that you got it from for a recommendation. Is it sitll under warranty?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    nah man warranty is long since gone 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11467
    Excuse to get a Helix?
    crunchman said:
    Excuse to get a Helix?

nah for my needs the fx100 is fine :) just pissing me off that its sat there doing nothing and its probably something really simple 

If the sockets are broken and they are PCB mount, then they can be a bit of a pain.  It's not a hard job, but if they use bespoke jack sockets it could be a bit of a pain to source them.  Worst case is that they have their own bespoke ones, that they will only give to their authorized repairers, who charge £78 per hour, plus you will have to pay for parts and postage there and back (so just be thankful it's not a TC product). 

If there is room, you can fit a normal chassis mount one with wires to the board.

well that makes me feel a WHOLE lot better :) 

at that price its not worth repairing 
    well that makes me feel a WHOLE lot better :) 

at that price its not worth repairing 

That was the conclusion I came to with my Nova Delay.  I don't think Line 6 are as bad as TC though.  Jack sockets are probably bodgeable where some other components wouldn't be.
    it DOES work , just takes a wee bit of waggling so i don't think whatever is broken is completely broken. 
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    childerbeasts 
    Can't offer any help sorry but that ^ is an excellent term, how're you pronouncing it?

Child-er-beast or chill-der-beast
     chill-der-beast as in wildebeest

cant remember where i stole it from ;p its sums my 2 step daughters up quite well though. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    it DOES work , just takes a wee bit of waggling so i don't think whatever is broken is completely broken. 

I'm sure it is fixable.  It just might not be as simple as an old style chassis mount jack.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
     chill-der-beast as in wildebeest

cant remember where i stole it from ;p its sums my 2 step daughters up quite well though. 
    Thought so, the term might come in quite handy over the next six weeks or so!
    False alarm guys fired it up tonight through the amp and it’s fine, looks like it’s a faulty headphone 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    False alarm guys fired it up tonight through the amp and it’s fine, looks like it’s a faulty headphone 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter 
    Notorious for their cheese like quality, those adapters.
    edited July 2018
    Have purchased a male 6.3 to female 3.5 cable today so hopefully issue is now sorted. Have made a decision though, I’m hating Strats again, I love my CV it looks great and plays great until I plug it in then it just pisses me off. 
    Have purchased a male 6.3 to female 3.5 cable today so hopefully issue is now sorted. Have made a decision though, I’m hating Strats again

Have purchased a male 6.3 to female 3.5 cable today so hopefully issue is now sorted. Have made a decision though, I’m hating Strats again

I know mate, it’s a love/hate thing I love them, I shouldnlove them then I get to a point where they just do my head in. Watch the classifieds for a fs post. 

I know mate, it’s a love/hate thing I love them, I shouldnlove them then I get to a point where they just do my head in. Watch the classifieds for a fs post. 
    You aren’t going to learn either are you?
    Do any of us @Bridgehouse? ;