Hardwood dowels

I've used some hardwood (supposedly maple) dowels that I bought from ebay to plug a Strat neck where the screws weren't biting any more.  The wood is loads softer than the original neck material and now they need doing again.  Can anyone recommend a supplier of dowels that are up to the job?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    you need plugs, not dowels.  grain orientation is important.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    WezV said:
    you need plugs, not dowels.  grain orientation is important.

Anywhere to buy them pre-cut
    best way is to buy a plug cutter and make your own.   Most plugs you can buy are tapered as they are for an aesthetic fix, not a structural one.. they won't work for this.

Normally i would offer to shove a few in the post, but i am not going to get chance for a week or two.  
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Cheers, I'll go get a plug cutter and try and find some suitable wood to cut a few plugs.  I'm not in any hurry and would happily bung you a few £ though ;)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Would stuffing it with matches do? I did that with my strap buttons that kept popping out of my plywood LP copies
    Would stuffing it with matches do? I did that with my strap buttons that kept popping out of my plywood LP copies
    As a first fix, yes.  Fixing a fix needs more effort
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    I’ve plugged lots of bolt on necks with no problems. I have an old model makers lathe and turn down my own plugs, I drill out the old screw holes so they have straight sides and glue in the custom made plugs with Titebond.