Speaker sim for a Marshall as100d UPDATE joyo hugely recommended

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Hi all I use althe above amp for my acoustic playing but recently really got back into electric but really don't want to buy another amp, what would people recommend speaker sim wise so I can continue to use my current amp, thankyou 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469

Not sure it will work.  I tried an emulated direct out into my Fishman Loudbox Mini.  Didn't work very well.  It seems to be voiced to give a nice sound with acoustic guitar, but I'm not sure the response is all that flat like a PA would be.

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I'm sure it will work  the amps essentially  A pa and alot of people use speaker sims etc straight into pa's?.... 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31652
    It will work, in fact I've used that exact amp with a Tubescreamer into the speaker sim of a Tech 21 TriOD and got the best solid state tones I've ever had. 

Pretty well any Tech 21 or Joyo equivalent should work, and work very well indeed. 

There's something about the voicing of those amps which sounds more like a vintage PA than a modern one, they're great for guitars, almost Roland JC-like.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    It will work, in fact I've used that exact amp with a Tubescreamer into the speaker sim of a Tech 21 TriOD and got the best solid state tones I've ever had. 

Pretty well any Tech 21 or Joyo equivalent should work, and work very well indeed. 

There's something about the voicing of those amps which sounds more like a vintage PA than a modern one, they're great for guitars, almost Roland JC-like.  
    Now that sir is some much needed wisdom thank you 
    p90fool said:

Maybe the Marshall will be different, but it was a Joyo I tried into my Fishman.  Sounded nasty.  It sounds far better into a PA.

I guess you have to try it and see if it works.  You could pick up one of the Joyo knockoffs of the Tech 21 for £20 (or maybe less) second hand.  It won't cost a lot to find out.

@crunchman are they the ones called "American sound" "British sound" etc? 
    edited July 2018
    @crunchman are they the ones called "American sound" "British sound" etc? 

Yes.

There are different ones in the series.  I have the AC Tone, which I think is their knockoff of the Tech 21 Liverpool pedal.  It's their version of the Vox sound.

The American Sound is meant to be the classic Fender Blackface sound.  I think the British Sound is meant to be the Marshall, and the California Sound is the Mesa Boogie.  They seem to be based on the Tech 21 Character Series pedals.

@crunchman I have gone with the one you have, thanks bud:) 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    If it doesn't work that well you can try using a DI box and plugging into the Microphone Input.

You can get a cheap DI from Thomann for less than £10.

The main issue is likely going to be the speakers, the 2x8 configuration isn't going to be great for electric guitar and they are probably voiced for an acoustic. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    If it doesn't work that well you can try using a DI box and plugging into the Microphone Input.
    No, don't do that. If you plug a dirt pedal into an acoustic amp without going via a speaker emulator, it will not only sound dreadful, there's a risk of blowing the tweeters at any real volume.

If you mean a speaker-emulating DI box like a H&K Red Box or a Peavey EDI, then it will be fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    No, don't do that. If you plug a dirt pedal into an acoustic amp without going via a speaker emulator, it will not only sound dreadful, there's a risk of blowing the tweeters at any real volume.

If you mean a speaker-emulating DI box like a H&K Red Box or a Peavey EDI, then it will be fine.

Those Joyo pedals are meant to give an emulated sound to go direct.  The output will be massively higher than a microphone though, so I take your point about blowing tweeters.

I'll be interested to see how it turns out, but I'm not sure it will be great.  When I tried it through my Fishman amp it didn't sound good at all.  I don't think these acoustic amps are designed to give a flat response.  I think they give emphasis to some of the higher frequencies that make an acoustic sound good.  Even with an emulated output, I suspect that it might make an electric sound fizzy.

For the price of one of those Joyo pedals, it's not expensive to find out.  They are a useful thing to have anyway.  I thought mine sounded better than my old Pod for recording direct, and it also gives you a straight to PA backup live if your amp goes down.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    A solution to this is to simply disable the tweeters by either just pulling the wires off or wiring in a switch which disconnects them. It’s the extra HF and the Eq of the amp which emphasises the upper mids which gives it the fizz. 

My guitar set up uses an old AER compact cabinet, the amp part long since gave up, and a bluguitar amp 1. The original Beyma speaker had a whizzer cone and once that was removed the cab sounded great until I gave it full chat on a gig and the speaker fried. I’ve replaced it with a 200 watt Beyma and all is great for me. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    I bought the Joyo so that will be coming today (gotta love amazon prime) ill also look to install a switch to the tweeters if it still doesnt sound good , :) 

So the joyo actone came today, nice solid housing, and honestly sounds fantastic , I was not expecting good things from a 35 quid pedal but it has turned the as100 into a brillaint all rounder, I can't stop playing with it,

https://i.imgur.com/XrsETYn.jpg
    Nice Guild :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Nice Guild :).
    Thanks a 78 well worn and my own hand  made pickups, sounds great which makes up for its looks!
    Strangefan said:

Thanks a 78 well worn and my own hand  made pickups, sounds great which makes up for its looks!
    I've always thought they were one of the nicest of the 'odd' shapes. I nearly bought a B-402a bass last year, it sounded fantastic but unfortunately it was just too heavy for me.

Sorry, thread hijack :).

ICBM said:
    Strangefan said:

I've always thought they were one of the nicest of the 'odd' shapes. I nearly bought a B-402a bass last year, it sounded fantastic but unfortunately it was just too heavy for me.

Sorry, thread hijack :).

the best type of thread hijack  guilds are my favourite brand. 
    Told you it would work well :)

And that is a lovely Guild, I always fancied one of those.
    Told you it would work well :)

And that is a lovely Guild, I always fancied one of those.