NGD - Yamahaaaaaaa content.

LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
I picked this up on the super el~cheapo this morning... 

It's a Yamaha ERG121.. missing the selector toggle head bit and the jingle stick.. but did come with a super kick ass StarFire™ Amplificator.

I got it as it was silly cheap and thought i could learn a bit about setting up and messing around on it and eventually give to nephew as he has shown a slight interest..

It's dirty and strings have corroded and feel nasty.. but on five minutes messing around sat in works carpark, i have a feeling there is actually a pretty good guitar under there. 
The body has a reassuring bit of weight to it, and from where it has been uh.. reliced.. can see some nice wood underneath. Neck feels nice, no sharp frets or anything.

All in all in feels like a quality guitar.. Obviously it's not a high end guitar but it's no plank either..

Will probably strip it and what not ( i really dislike solid black finishes...) and sort out missing bits..

They guy chucked in the amp to the already low price...  Looks like an angry wasp type amp :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14567
    The ERG range was built down to a price. The hardware is where the corners were cut.

The neck should be nice, if narrow across the nut. The black finish may be hiding a multitude of unsightly wood - probably a spread of at least five sections. It may be hard work to sand off. 

The StarFire amplifier is a charity shop and boot sale stalwart. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I reckon it will come off ok.. would only be to cover it up with something else though so not bothered about a 5 piece :) 

If hardware's an issue, not a big problem to replace, i've probably got some pickups lying around and the rest won't set me back a lot. 

• GritstoneGritstone Frets: 2
    edited July 2018
    Nice, there is a Yamaha ERG121 on Preloved near me at an very affordable price. I've been toying with getting it to tinker with but currently bidding on another superstrat project on eBay, so will have to see if I win that first. Otherwise I'll get it.

I'll be interested to see what you think once you've had more time with it.
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    edited July 2018
    I bought an ERG 121, also in black, a couple of months ago for £20.
    Body was fine, neck plays & feels nice especially with my average sized hands, pups were a bit nasty sounding so I swapped in a set of Entwistles.
    Stays in tune fine although I "blocked" off the trem immediately as whammy bars are not really me so I have no idea what the trem is actually like.
    Guitar now owes me £75.

This pic was before I swapped the pups.
  • 545454545454 Frets: 184
    I had one for a while too, mainly used as a testbed for pickups, but I actually thought the stock ones were fine (well, the single coil was pretty thin).
    Pretty nicely put together, and yeah the hardware was a bit cheap, but held tuning well after a few trem adjustments.
    Would happily take another one if I was after a backup.