Guitars you hate...

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Tree of life inlays.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Some interesting stuff on this thread! Hate seems too strong a word for many of you but I really do hate matt black goth/metal guitars with EMGs in. As well as some of the music they're responsible for... Otherwise, there are guitars I struggle to get on with/dislike the look of, but I don't hate them - like Les Pauls, Jaguars, Burns, jazz boxes etc...

Other stuff I hate that others have touched on though - gold hardware, locking trems, cream neck binding (now I really fucking hate that - looks and feels cheap and nasty)...

Honestly, despite being an occasional metal guitarist myself (much less so than I used to be) I really dislike those sorts of guitars as well - B.C. Riches, Schecter Hellraisers and the like. I don't mind some pointy shapes provided they actually work ergonomically, like the non-Razorback Dean ML and the Flying V, but the spikier-than-thou BRVTAL shapes beloved of thirteen year-olds are almost uniformly awful. And Schecter Hellraisers with their horrific binding/quilt veneer/placenta red combination.

Matt black is always, always wrong on guitars as well... and I find plain old black rather boring. Then again I don't particularly want a garish quilted top finished in either trans red or trans black (it's never anything else, is it). Give me a nice solid colour any day.

What I want from a metal guitar is a comfortable body, a fast neck, 24 easily accessible frets and high-quality, high-output pickups.

Much like my Jackson Soloist. It's bright green, which helps.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Those Danelectro long horn things. Wtf were they thinking

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Schecters. Yes, the whole brand. Now I've owned 4 or 5 and they've all been sub-par for the money. Horrifically generic, blander than any other manufacturer, even their attempts at odd ball designs are predictable and boring.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    timmysoft said:

Schecters. Yes, the whole brand. Now I've owned 4 or 5 and they've all been sub-par for the money. Horrifically generic, blander than any other manufacturer, even their attempts at odd ball designs are predictable and boring.
    I agree with that. But *real* Schecters - the beefed-up Fender-style ones made in the 80s and used by the likes of Mark Knopfler and Pete Townshend - are a different thing altogether. Seriously good guitars. It's a shame what happened to the name.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited April 2014
    ICBM;204295" said:
    I agree with that. But *real* Schecters - the beefed-up Fender-style ones made in the 80s and used by the likes of Mark Knopfler and Pete Townshend - are a different thing altogether. Seriously good guitars. It's a shame what happened to the name.
    Spot on - they were superb.

Tom Anderson worked for Schecter in the '80s. His guitars are Schecter's real heir apparent.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Noisy has a proper Schecter.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Talking of "whole" guitars rather than bits and bobs that I "hate".

HSS, non pickguard Superstrats - so horribly generic and boring. HS or HH is fine for some reason, but HSS, just no.

SG's.

And yes, post 80's Schecter's.

Also anything by BC Rich, Dean, ESP etc etc

Most Godin (for their hideous looks)

And Yamaha Pacifica - only because I believed the hype and bought one last year and it was a piece of crap.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Oh and I can't stand EMG's. I can never get a nice tone from them. Always sound harsh.

Alnico5 for the bridge is a favourite.

Ceramic only works in the neck (at least for me).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I can't stand anything too pointy - BC Rich, some superstrats, etc. And the worst culprit is the PRS headstock. I keep looking at these absolutely gorgeous guitars, really wanting one, and then I remember that the headstock looks like it was grafted from a BC Rich. Badly. :(
  • mike_l;203689" said:
    kossofffan said:

Any of the Zakk Wylde signature uglies from the bullseye LP to that half SG, half flying V to the lastest Moderne of Doom thing. Just plain wrong!

Agreed.

Also, hate being the wrong word, I don't get on with LPs, SGs, well Gibson, and Gibson-esque guitars in general (They sit wrong against my body), Also PRS' don't, to me, feel nice, or right (I've tried a few). Also any V-shape, for me are a big no.

And Strats with bent steel saddles.

Give me a nice Superstrat anyday.
    You've got enough :p

I really hate the firebird x's...

... But I do like the finish with those pickups. The electronics, headstock etc are terrible, but that swirly blue with maple board and three chrome pickups looks nice. Shame it's bollocks.
  • Blonde, too. Only ttony has a blonde guitar I like a lot.

And brown. Poo is brown, guitars should be colourful.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    I'm going to upset a lot of people, I genuinely hate stratocasters. Too bright, thin sounding and overpriced! I much prefer a good set neck humbucker guitar
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I don't think I hate any guitars. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l;203689" said:

Give me a nice Superstrat anyday.
    You've got enough :p
    The correct number of guitars to own is n+1, where n is the current number owned.
    >:D<

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Mother of pearl is a complete dealbreaker for me. Suhr headstocks. Active pickups. Tremeloes of any kind. Red guitars.
    Just about got you covered:

I take it all back. Apart from the MOP and Tremelo :)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    dindude said:
    Talking of "whole" guitars rather than bits and bobs that I "hate".

HSS, non pickguard Superstrats - so horribly generic and boring. HS or HH is fine for some reason, but HSS, just no.

SG's.

And yes, post 80's Schecter's.

Also anything by BC Rich, Dean, ESP etc etc

Most Godin (for their hideous looks)

And Yamaha Pacifica - only because I believed the hype and bought one last year and it was a piece of crap.

I love my godin, the twist on the classic strat has been done well with the session and progression. I agree that some of their models are bloody ugly though, but I've never played a bad one. Great build, fit and finish.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Jaguars and Duosonics and Jizzmasters are all pretty vile. Not keen on Ricky necks and scale lengths either. And anything with a brickbat neck.
  • JeztoneJeztone Frets: 27
    DrBob;203326" said:
    [quote="Jeztone;203318"]I hate Fenders modern C profile, it feels wrong, I want a guitar neck to feel like a womans thigh, not a girls
    Wisdom awarded for your beautiful description. I completely agree but yours is so much more lyrical than my ' A Good handful' . ;-)

[/quote]

Thank you Sir, I am writing a novel at the moment.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    A thigh?

Bloody wierdos.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom