Plug and Play Amp Recommendations

What's Hot
RMJRMJ Frets: 1274

Whilst I love my Helix I miss having an amp that I can simply plug into and play when the opportunity arises. I'm currently skint, but when funds are recharged this is probably what I'd like to buy next.

Criteria:

• Budget up to £1k
  • Single channel
  • Combo
  • Nice cleans - I like Fendery or Voxy
  • Takes pedal well

I know Princetons get good press.  Any other good 'bang for buck' recommendations?

Ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Roland Blues Cube Stage would cover this nicely. Very controllable volume level for home use. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Princeton or AC15 or variations of those two

Whatever you get make sure it has a good speaker fitted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12399
    Have just bought a princeton 68 custom and love it so would recommend. Am selling the tweed 5 watt champion/5f1 champ I had previously, leave a lot of the grand left.  Ideal for only playing at home.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Roland JC40. I just got one yesterday - and am loving it for cleans I also have a Princeton 68 RI. I love them both equally, I think. Considering new prices the JC is about 500 pounds and the Princeton about double that. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    AC15 (with a good speaker) or DRRI for me. Both are wonderful. Never sure why the PRRI gets more love than the DRRI when the latter is clearly better
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    Just get the princeton - my favourite sound on my AFX is the Preiceton, with a Timmy in front.  Thats wheat Im going for as my plug and lay amp.

Spent 3.5k on keyboards this year, so its on hold for a few months - but thats what makes my smile the most. 
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited July 2018
    Blackstar Artist 15. It’s 2 channels but not really to be thought of as a channel switcher. You get 2 flavours of clean, a mid pushed clean on channel 1, and a mid scooped clean on channel 2. So it can be tailored to suit any drive pedal.

I just  sold mine to go back to a digital setup, but if I were to go back to pedals this is the amp I would buy. They can be picked up for around £300 secondhand, which is nothing considering they sound like an amp costing 2/3 times as much.

They are big size wise but that translates to a big sound, but they are also relatively lightweight for a valve amp thanks to the birch ply cabinet.

They seem to be under the radar and overlooked by many, but I would recommend checking them out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Blackstar Artist 15. It’s 2 channels but not really to be thought of as a channel switcher. You get 2 flavours of clean, a mid pushed clean on channel 1, and a mid scooped clean on channel 2. So it can be tailored to suit any drive pedal.

I just  sold mine to go back to a digital setup, but if I were to go back to pedals this is the amp I would buy. They can be picked up for around £300 secondhand, which is nothing considering they sound like an amp costing 2/3 times as much.

They are big size wise but that translates to a big sound, but they are also relatively lightweight for a valve amp thanks to the birch ply cabinet.

They seem to be under the radar and overlooked by many, but I would recommend checking them out.
    Hmmm interesting. Seems a lot of spec for the money...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Fender Pro Junior (much better than the overrated Blues Junior IMHO) possibly a new speaker, Ragin' Cajun for example.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    smigeon said:
    Roland JC40. I just got one yesterday - and am loving it for cleans I also have a Princeton 68 RI. I love them both equally, I think. Considering new prices the JC is about 500 pounds and the Princeton about double that. 
    The Princeton can be had new for just over £800 now
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited July 2018
    AC15 (with a good speaker) or DRRI for me. Both are wonderful. Never sure why the PRRI gets more love than the DRRI when the latter is clearly better
    In what ways do you prefer the DRRI @stickyfiddle ;?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Whilst it's not really voxy or fendery the Marshall Origin has really nice cleans and edge of breakup tones and takes pedals really well.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    TTBZ said:
    Whilst it's not really voxy or fendery the Marshall Origin has really nice cleans and edge of breakup tones and takes pedals really well.
    Also worth looking at.

Ok I have a shortlist developing which are all similarly priced:

Blackstar Artist 15
    Origin 20
    AC15
    Blues Cube
    Princeton (more expensive) 
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 128

With a similar budget and objectives as you, in January I got a Brunetti Singleman 16 and I absolutely love it.  Wonderful, Fendery cleans are the base tone, but plenty of tweakability through different voicings, eq and power scaling. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    terada said:
    In what ways do you prefer the DRRI @stickyfiddle ;?
    Less boxy, more open sounding, much less ice-picky. 

I like Princetons when other people play them, but never got on with them when I've tried. But every time I've plugged into a DRRI I'm in heaven
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4714

I occasionally think about upgrading my PRRI to a DRRI (or more likely a hand wired version from a UK builder).
    I think Deluxe Reverbs sound bigger and also better cranked.

But Princeton's have better trem and sound sweeter at many of the volumes I play, so the only answer is probably both!

Saying that I have a 5E3 on the way and would like a JC40 as well, you can never have too many plug-and-play options!