JHS Pedals vlogs...

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13947
edited July 2018 in FX
I've just started watching Josh's blogs on his JHS channel, I know he gets a lot of stick but when you get past the schmooze he's quite a funny guy with a very dry sense of humour and is extremely knowledgable on stuff. I love that some of the vids are not particularly pedal related

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I have been enjoying these. Worth noting that he spends a lot of time on these vlogs promoting and raving about other peoples' pedals - to his credit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Samgb said:
    I have been enjoying these. Worth noting that he spends a lot of time on these vlogs promoting and raving about other peoples' pedals - to his credit. 
    Before he clones and rehouses them?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    Samgb said:
    Worth noting that he spends a lot of time on these vlogs promoting and raving about other peoples' pedals - to his credit. 

Yep, including that Vertex guy, whose reputation for unscrupulous practices and shady beginnings exceeds even Josh's.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22217
    Samgb said:
    I'm surprised the videos aren't ripped from other places with Josh's face added in over the top. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Samgb said:
    Worth noting that he spends a lot of time on these vlogs promoting and raving about other peoples' pedals - to his credit. 

Yep, including that Vertex guy, whose reputation for unscrupulous practices and shady beginnings exceeds even Josh's.
    Amazing how quickly that blew over. Not so long ago he was coming clean to the pitchfork wielders and now seems to be getting product reviews again. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    I find them pretty painful to be honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13947
    Oh the high and might morals, businesses having been fucking each other over since the dawn of time, look at Apple and Samsung, get over yourselves and just enjoy his vlogs and pedals or don't but don't blame it on his business approach. Just about every pedal builder has made a Tube Screamer copy.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I enjoy them for what they are. That’s all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12927
    Oh the high and might morals, businesses having been fucking each other over since the dawn of time, look at Apple and Samsung, get over yourselves and just enjoy his vlogs and pedals or don't but don't blame it on his business approach. Just about every pedal builder has made a Tube Screamer copy.
    But not every pedal builder has ripped off other people's layouts (which is the one thing in pedal design which is an actual, genuine no-no). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Genuine question - if he’s such a reviled rip off merchant why do so many other pedal companies partner up with him?- Keeley, EHX, Boss etc He must be somewhat respected by his peers in the industry 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Hick81 said:
    Genuine question - if he’s such a reviled rip off merchant why do so many other pedal companies partner up with him?- Keeley, EHX, Boss etc He must be somewhat respected by his peers in the industry 
    Coz his pedals hold serious clout amongst the worship guitarists. Something that the brands you've named would never achieve and would kill their own grannies to get a piece of...

(probably) 
    How very rock and roll
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13947
    What's a worship guitarist? And how do they differ from regular guitarists? It's a US thing I presume?

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited July 2018
    Lots of the mega churches in America pay musicians to play in their worship sets. I guess these guitarists follow trends and have endorsements - they mostly play a similar style of U2 edge type riffs.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    There's an Andertons interview with the chap from Morgan amps, they got their break selling to the worship crowd, and he basically says it's the scene that replaced Saturday night gigs for musicians of a certain age. There is a much higher percentage of regular church goers in the USA than here, if you've got a third of the population to entertain every Sunday morning that's a few decent gigs. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Samgb said:
    Yeah because absolutely nobody in the pedal business ever recycles designs with very minor tweaks. Got it. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Samgb said:
    Samgb said:
    Yeah because absolutely nobody in the pedal business ever recycles designs with very minor tweaks. Got it. 
    It's a bit more than that.
    But hey why know the facts when you can be sarcastic and petulant?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Samgb said:
    Samgb said:
    It's a bit more than that.
    But hey why know the facts when you can be sarcastic and petulant?
    Er... Isn't that what you did? 
    Read that reply again and tell me it isn't. I know the background to this, thanks man. To me, it wasn't black and white at all. There are some very strange opinions and rules about what is and isn't acceptable in the whole pedal scene. Anyway, snarky comments from both you and I aside, I thought the Vlogs were pretty good. He is very open in praising and promoting other people's stuff in them. I think that's a decent thing to do. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I don’t have any beef with JHS at all, but the blog in original post is a very dry watch. They go to LA for something they can’t tell us about so you see them in the airport and eating food. Erm....., at least Chappers would have been dicking about like a toddler.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't like his face.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Meh, I liked them. They aren't exactly 100mph  but they are kept to a sensible length and look at some cool gear.