Intonation and new strings

SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Just re-strung the Les Paul with new strings - D'addario Pro Steels, having previously had Nickel Wound on it. Same gauge as before (10-46).

Previously, the intonation was fine. Now it's all to hell once you get up to 11th/12th fret.  Admittedly I haven't change the type/style of strings in donkey's years, but is it really likely to have that profound an effect? I'd understand it if I'd changed gauge dramatically, but same gauge, different composition?

Obviously I'll be spending some time with the small screwdrivers later, just a bit surprised.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    Different core/wrap ratio (if they are) and metal type will have an effect on the intonation, even for the same gauge. Were the old strings quite old too?

It's also possible that if the new strings are steel rather than nickel, the neck pickup is adjusted a bit too high and it's pulling on the string causing a 'false node', which is most noticeable when you play around the 12th fret. It's more noticeable on Strats, but it can happen with humbuckers too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Thanks, that makes sense. I've got it back to acceptable now, was just surprised. The old strings went on in January (oops) but haven't had masses of use and weren't dead. Just thought they should be freshened up for the jam.

The old ones were nickel wound rather than pure. The Pro Steels are an experiment.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    It could be the string not yet seated right at the saddle. Especially if the new strings are a bit stiffer. 

It could be bullshit but I’ll put a link to something a bit further down.. 

But firstly have you stretched the strings in good n proper?

I usually ‘stretch’ each string by lightly pulling it up, once near the nut end, once at the bridge and once around the 12th. 

Then I’ll pull up lightly at the 12th fret whilst fretting each fret from 1 to 10 on that string. 

Do all 6 strings.
    Retune to pitch. 

Repeat 3 times total. 

May help... 

But about that break angle thing I mentioned. I once saw something in a video that made me think.. 

It was saying that new strings take a little while to properly seat/kink at the saddle. Til they do they retain an arc like shape over it instead of a sharper break. 

I can’t describe it well so here be a link which has pictures. 

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/string-seating-and-witness-points

I don’t know why that particular article calls them witness points, but I’m sure there is an actual word for it, but my minds frazzled... 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    Snags said:
    Thanks, that makes sense. I've got it back to acceptable now, was just surprised. The old strings went on in January (oops) but haven't had masses of use and weren't dead. Just thought they should be freshened up for the jam.
    The Strat I played at the Huddersfield Jam in January still has the same strings on - can’t see any reason to change them already!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    @skunkwerx yup, stretched in until they held tune consistently (which actually didn't take long).  Definitely seated correctly throughout, although whether that 'settling' thing applies remains to be seen. If the intonation goes out after it's been played for a few hours at the weekend I'll report back.

@richardhomer I made a bit of a bollox of putting a couple of the last set on (forgot about the lock-wrap technique it had been so long) so a couple of them were slipping out of tune easily.  Over the years I've gone everywhere between "Only when they're so rusty they hurt my fingers" and "once a month whether they need it or not". Now it tends to be "when I've got something interesting coming up" :)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Snags said:
    @skunkwerx yup, stretched in until they held tune consistently (which actually didn't take long).  Definitely seated correctly throughout, although whether that 'settling' thing applies remains to be seen. If the intonation goes out after it's been played for a few hours at the weekend I'll report back.

@richardhomer I made a bit of a bollox of putting a couple of the last set on (forgot about the lock-wrap technique it had been so long) so a couple of them were slipping out of tune easily.  Over the years I've gone everywhere between "Only when they're so rusty they hurt my fingers" and "once a month whether they need it or not". Now it tends to be "when I've got something interesting coming up" :)
    Ahh. Well hopefully its sorted for ya either way! Could just be the different string composition like Icbm said! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...