The Ibanez AZ series

What's Hot
Hey guys, has anyone played one of these Ibanez AZ guitars yet?

I really like the look of them. I'd probably only be interested in a MIJ Prestige which costs £1750 new, which I wouldn't pay. If they were £1400 I'd seriously be thinking of buying one ... £1750 puts them up with the some higher end stuff! I know everyone comments that they seem like Ibanez's take on a Suhr. 

The Premiums - Made in Indonesia are about £1000 but I wouldn't really consider one because I know I'd just still want the prestige version because that's what I'm like!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ibanez-az-roasted-maple-neck-seymour-duncan-pups-gotoh-locking-machine-heads-ice-blue-metallic-az2402-icm?LGWCODE=AZ2402ICM;56375;6335&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7_O7vMS93AIVbL7tCh27iQMdEAYYBSABEgJSOfD_BwE

That would be the one I'd be after with two humbuckers. They do a Martin Miller one which looks amazing but it's £500 more! And practically the same

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ibanez-mm1-tab-martin-miller-signature-guitar-mm1-tab?LGWCODE=MM1TAB;56375;6335&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJab2MS93AIVTrXtCh00YADCEAYYAiABEgJdtPD_BwE

Any thoughts on the AZ range, anyone played one, including the Premium ones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    Check out this months guitarist magazine ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with you OP that I'd love one of the Prestiges (the blue AZ2402 is lovely) but cannot justify the cost. The Premiums are a good price but I feel like I'd always be pining after the Prestige if I had one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    edited July 2018
    I wonder if they will release a "standard" version i.e. non premium or prestige. Sadly the Koa version they have released is even more expensive. I love the shapes just not the colours atm.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4191
    Or you can go the "Squier" route and get a Cort ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hah I see what you mean about the Corts looking similar to the premium models! Similar finishes.

Yeah it's a shame that they just seem a touch over priced, They seem to have made a really appealing set of guitars though! Like a less serious Suhr. 
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    Not exactly the model you're looking at, but I've got the Premium AZ224F. To be honest I didn't even consider the Prestige models when I bought my one and I haven't given them any thought since, so I can only comment on the Premium range. 

I was looking for a guitar with great build quality and playability that would cover a wide range of sounds and it definitely ticks all of those boxes. The neck is fairly chunky so it isn't what you would normally expect from an Ibanez but playing it is absolutely effortless and I felt at home with it after a few minutes.

My one is the HSS 22 fret version but the switching system gives you access to most of the sounds you would get from a strat, tele or twin humbucker guitar. I really think the switching is well thought out and it makes it a great guitar for gigging. I'm in a covers band playing a wide range of songs and using quite a few different sounds and it has handled everything I've thrown at it so far. The trem system and tuning are also really stable.

In the time that I've had it I haven't yet come across anything that I don't like about it.

I did also try the 24 fret twin humbucker version but didn't like it quite as much as the 22 fret HSS, although I'm sure that's just personal preference.

If you think you could live with it not being the prestige version I would definitely try one out if you can. There have also been some fairly good prices online for the premium one lately so definitely worth doing a bit of research before buying.

If you've got any questions about it, feel free to ask.
  • hutchy29hutchy29 Frets: 1
    edited July 2018
    I've got the HH premium in espresso. Lovely guitar, 5 way switch and a coil split you can get any sound you want.

Neck has got a nice chunk to it too none sticky too with the smooth satin finish. I left the shop in 15 mins of walking in with one in my hand! 

• Loving the reviews of the premium versions ... I think they the blue gradation finish one at the Dawson's near me, I'll pop in during the week. Love to hear the necks aren't sticky, after the neck on my CS strat which has a sanded back from the factory, I do find it hard to play necks with a finish on them! 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Have to say these have caught my attention and I've never owned an Ibanez before.  They've toned them down just enough for traditionalists to have sniff.

My local Belfast Dawson's have none in stock. Anyone care to elaborate on the neck size. The fact a few hear mentioned chunky floats my boat...

I see a few shops doing the Prestige at £1500.  I like the blue one.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Not convinced by roasted maple necks. Once the CITES fuss is sorted out will anyone want a roasted maple neck over rosewood? Why not regular maple anyway?
  • £1399 for the tri burst prestige now ...  
    edited December 2018
    I thought the Tri Burst was a slightly weird color choice by Ibanez?

I just ordered an MM1...have been looking at them for a few weeks now and finally caved in.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 384
    edited December 2018
    Oh nice! That’s definitely the best one! Very jealous!!!

Yeah ... about the tri burst, I have a feeling I’d probably quite like when I had it if that’s makes any sense hah, it’s not a wow finish but it’s underatsted looks are kind of cool. 
    edited December 2018
    By various means I got it for the same price as the Standard AZ Prestige range
  • Nice! ... hah could you explain? 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    timhulio said:
    Not convinced by roasted maple necks. Once the CITES fuss is sorted out will anyone want a roasted maple neck over rosewood? Why not regular maple anyway?
    The roasted maple is supposed to be more stable. That's the main reason for having it. I also think it looks nice. 
    I certainly think it looks better than the nearly white maple that charvel and Ibanez use. But that's just my preference.
  • My buddy who is a luthier swears by the roasted maple. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    markr76 said:
    timhulio said:
    The roasted maple is supposed to be more stable. That's the main reason for having it. I also think it looks nice. 
    I certainly think it looks better than the nearly white maple that charvel and Ibanez use. But that's just my preference.
    So stable that it doesn’t even need any finish, so can also be good for those who like a sub-satin raw finish
    edited December 2018
    MM1 has arrived.  It's really nice but won't plug in until tonight

I like the weight the mahogany body gives it for a start. I'm guessing about 8lb
  • Looks like Andy Timmons is now also playing a SSS AZ model. New NAMM thing?