Old & cheap and suitable for bass?

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
I’m on the lookout for a low wattage small all valve head for bass - mostly for recording hence volume doesn’t matter too much.

Before I consider one of those pricey Ampeg jobs, can anyone think of an old one that I may be able to get hold of cheaply that would do the job?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72548
    Almost any small valve amp and a bass cabinet. There's very little difference, if any, between low-powered amps designed for bass and ones for guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Almost any small valve amp and a bass cabinet. There's very little difference, if any, between low-powered amps designed for bass and ones for guitar.
    Any particular ones that might do a better job than others? I’m looking for super simple - gain, tone, master. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    I've used an old Selmer Treble 'n' Bass for this in the past.

These days I have an old valve Hacker 'stereo hifi' extension speaker (probably 5 watts or less?) which I've modded with an external speaker socket and run into an old 1x15" cab. Very simple - on/volume, bass, treble - and sounds very warm and retro. For more flexibility I can run a small mixer into the Hacker's input.

The second pic was the bass players setup (believe it or not) for an ambient looping trio recording project a few years back.

Bridgehouse said:

Any particular ones that might do a better job than others? I’m looking for super simple - gain, tone, master. 
    Literally any old valve amp. You won't get a master volume, just volume and tone or treble and bass. The limiting factor for bass is the speaker, so just disconnect that - if it's a combo - and run it into a bass cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I shall start trawling the bay and see what pops up
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

One of the best bass amps for recording is the GEM Mars 30.

This is a flip-top amp, with solid state front end and valve power amp (2 x EL84s).

Might take a bit of searching for but, are cheap.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    When I started recording demos on my four track about thirty years ago I just plugged the Line Out of my practise amp straight into the board. I think it was a Ross Fame 10. The bass parts sounded much better than the guitar parts.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    ICBM said:
    I used a Laney Cub 10 combo which worked fine for bass but I've upgraded to an Ampeg PF20T which has the useful ability to DI out to a desk or whatever without needing a cabinet attached. I've never tried using it in that scenario but apparently it works fine. The Laney has a simple Volume, Tone Gain setup and can use an external speaker. I fed it out to an Excelsior cabinet with a low wattage 15". Worked great for home use.
    Great suggestions all - keep em coming!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    If you are interested, I can do the Laney for 120 delivered. It's sat on the shelf unused since January.

JezWynd said:
    If you are interested, I can do the Laney for 120 delivered. It's sat on the shelf unused since January.

If it was a head I’d be all over it - but I have a 15” cab for it to go on...
    jpfamps said:

One of the best bass amps for recording is the GEM Mars 30.

This is a flip-top amp, with solid state front end and valve power amp (2 x EL84s).

Might take a bit of searching for but, are cheap.
    I had an old GEM combo once - a similar hybrid amp, with reverb and tremolo.

If you turned all the knobs up full it sounded exactly like the guitars on Ennio Morricone western soundtracks.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thought I’d revisit this - found a shop doing the Ampeg PF-20T on special and bought one. Dunno when it’s going to arrive but I’ll let you know what I think - was cheap, and it’s a proper small wattage all valve bass head with transformer DI out...
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    ICBM said

If you turned all the knobs up full it sounded exactly like the guitars on Ennio Morricone western soundtracks.
    Rarely, has a description made me want a piece of guitar gear so badly ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DrBob said:

Rarely, has a description made me want a piece of guitar gear so badly ! 
    In that case, the model to look for is the Venus GR20. Unfortunately it seems much rarer than the non-reverb G20 version...

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited August 2018
    I'm selling a 65 amps apollo, which is based on an ampeg portaflex with a dash of SVT. Two 6L6s and rectification so about 45/50w, perfect recording amps for bass.  All handwired, and really high quality. Not sure if that's what you're looking for. And it's now quite cheap.
    brooom said:
    I'm selling a 65 amps apollo, which is based on an ampeg portaflex with a dash of SVT. Two 6L6s and rectification so about 45/50w, perfect recording amps for bass.  All handwired, and really high quality. Not sure if that's what you're looking for. And it's now quite cheap.
    If I hadn’t just bought a PF20T... how cheap is cheap?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    brooom said:
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/126080/65-amps-apollo-cab-1966-deluxe-reverb-magic-amps-x-brit-vintage-marshall-jmp#latest

mart said:
    brooom said:
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/126080/65-amps-apollo-cab-1966-deluxe-reverb-magic-amps-x-brit-vintage-marshall-jmp#latest

Looks lovely - it’s slightly more than I budgeted, and I’m glad I got the PF20T at £299 - but your 65 Apollo looks real tasty!
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    It's a great amp, I used to play bass a lot. I've stopped a bit, not sure why. I still love the idea of grabbing a precision and thumping down some simple bass lines.

The combination of 6L6s and 6sl7s octal preamps tubes with the baxandall tone circuit gives it an unmistakable ampeg sound. Thanks @mart for pasting the sale link.

@Bridgehouse enjoy the new amp.