Do you have a guitar that just WORKS live?

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
Im doing a dep slot with a band I haven’t played with before and we had our first rehearsal yesterday. I have been playing my telecaster a lot at home recently and love it, sounds great, plays great and is solid in terms of build and tuning stability etc. 

I thought it it would be a great ‘cover all bases’ guitar for the rehearsal but as soon as the rest of the band joined in it just dissapeared in the mix. I quickly swapped it for my Les Paul Junior and all of a sudden, without touching a thing on the amp you could hear me clearly.

There just seems to be something about the sound of that Junior that you can just hear it live with a band without needing to keep turning up. 

Anyone one else have a certain guitar that just seems to work brilliantly with a band?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    That's why I became a P90 fool, I always preferred brighter Strat single coils for recording but needed more power and warmth live, but still with good low string definition.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5770
    Don’t have it anymore sadly but a Gretsch Powerjet. That’s exactly what it does. They get a lot of criticism for being a little muddy but in the mix of a loud band, it’s just there. And effortlessly too. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I haven’t gigged for years but I have jammed & rehearsed a bit and when I do I always bring along a few guitars to try out but without exception end up playing my Heritage 535
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    p90fool said:
    That's why I became a P90 fool, I always preferred brighter Strat single coils for recording but needed more power and warmth live, but still with good low string definition.  
    I agree, a strat was my first guitar so have always loved them but never been able to make it work for me live. For a long time I used single cut dual humbucker guitars live which worked well but found I was using channel switching amps and loads of pedals to change sounds. Feel as I have gotten older and played live a lot more and in a lot of different styles I now get everything I need from a plexi style amp, junior or Les Paul, single drive pedal and a delay. I can then pick lighter for clean or to drop back so another instrument can be heard and then dig in a bit on louder sections or to make certain licks or phrases pop out. Use a subtle eq boost for solos.

The P90 in the junior just seems to suit this approach down to the ground. As a consequence my pedal board has gotten smaller and smaller and the bass and gain controls turned down further and further. All with the benefit of clarity and definition.

I remember when I was younger reading about needing much less gain and bass when you play live, and the benefits of changing picking attack/guitar controls. I wish I had listened years ago but I found the safety blanket of bass and gain and compression hard to let go of and took me a long time of playing live to have the confidence to manipulate the guitar to change sounds. 

As as much as I look back at recordings of old gigs and cringe a bit and wish I did it then like I do now, I guess it was just something I had to go through and learn to arrive at a style and rig that worked for me.

I suppose as I became more comfortable playing live I started to focus less on the part I was playing and listen more to the sound the band was making
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
    Depends on the gig a lot of the time. However, I don’t keep a guitar if I can’t just pick it up and go do the show -anything that doesn’t work in rehearsal gets flipped pretty quickly. I find for the sort of country-rock/Americana I play that it is the tele that usually covers all bases with greatest ease.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Depends on the gig a lot of the time. However, I don’t keep a guitar if I can’t just pick it up and go do the show -anything that doesn’t work in rehearsal gets flipped pretty quickly. I find for the sort of country-rock/Americana I play that it is the tele that usually covers all bases with greatest ease.
    Suppose it’s probably very amp, speaker, pedals etc dependant too. My friend borrowed my Tele for a gig and through his Lazy J20 it sounded awesome. Think the natural sound of my rig needs the midrange push of the junior, it just seems to work all together 
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4147
    Telecaster any other answer i could agree with but then we would all be wrong. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    A PRS DGT covers all bases for me. I use it for every song in our set apart from slide.

That said, I went direct for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I ended up using my Telecaster with P90s as it sounded awesome and I love playing it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    edited July 2018
    My Jackson Soloist.

I had been using my custom shop Washburn as my main guitar but changed over to the Jackson for one rehearsal. The other guitarist in my band even noticed how great it sounded so I just kept using it for everything until I changed to a 7 string.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Whatever works for you, in my case I discovered that my Squier Tele worked better than my Gibson Les Paul.  (go figure).

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6693
    So many factors involved here, mix and balance, taste etc. I find a Strat works brilliantly and sonically it occupies a great space as does a Tele and anything with P90s can really push into the "audio space". 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    My MH1000 ET.

EMG 81 and an evertune bridge. As long as I’ve tuned it that week and changed the battery in the last year it just does what it needs to.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Yeah when I was playing live I always found myself going back to my Les Pauls. I made it about 2 songs into a set with my strat which had no punch and everything just felt too much like hard work. Wasn't enjoyable to play, felt like I had to think too much about everything. Going back to the LP, all was well with the world again. I always find switching to the neck pickup (more so humbuckers) resulted in dropping out of the mix as well. 
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    Interesting thread..

i play in a covers band, but if I could, I’d always use my Les Paul, however a lot of modern and funk songs (Nile’s Rodgers) needs either that out of phase or strat type sound...but I’m not a strat player lol

ironically, last night I had a loaner of an Eric Clapton with mid boost and this was a close to a do it all Guitar I’ve ever used
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3045
    I have been playing my telecaster a lot at home recently and love it, sounds great, plays great and is solid in terms of build and tuning stability etc. 

I thought it it would be a great ‘cover all bases’ guitar for the rehearsal but as soon as the rest of the band joined in it just dissapeared in the mix. I quickly swapped it for my Les Paul Junior and all of a sudden, without touching a thing on the amp you could hear me clearly.
    Sounds like the amp is not set up right for the Tele, to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    White falcon. So versatile and the tv Jones filtertrons sit in the perfect range
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    monkey42 said:
    Interesting thread..

i play in a covers band, but if I could, I’d always use my Les Paul, however a lot of modern and funk songs (Nile’s Rodgers) needs either that out of phase or strat type sound...but I’m not a strat player lol
    I think youll be fine with your Les Paul - dont think anyone in the audience will know so might as well use what you prefer. I always used mine for every song on a typical cover set.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Predominately played in heavier style bands (metalcore/pop punk) and my Les Paul's work nicely, installed with BKP's they cut through and palm mutes are phat!
  • hoopshoops Frets: 227
    Krautster ii and Lazy J20. What's not to like
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    after years of gigging a les paul studio i now find this epiphone 339 more versatile, the coil tapped humbuckers give me the clean "tele-ish" sounds and the full coil humbuckers give me the les paul growl, plus its lighter.