GIbson SG - Which one to buy?

What's Hot
xRandomregxRandomreg Frets: 231
Hi All
I am gassing for a Gibson SG as I am a huge AC/DC fan, however having had the original Angus Young Sig I was disappointed that it didn't stay in tune and the recent lightning bold one seemed to have a very narrow neck

I am therefore looking at the Standards or a 61 reissue

Any advice on what's best and any guide on what price I should be paying

Thanks

Andrew
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Did you get the nut checked on the Angus model? I've had a couple of SGs & tuning problems are almost always a nut issue. 

As far as model recommendations go- I think
    P90 + SG = heaven. 

But if it's AC/DC you're after, you'll obviously want humbuckers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5770
    Go for the real AC/DC sound and get a Gretch double cut Jet ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    The basic Gibson one (the faded?  I dunno) without pickup covers sounds superb, played one in PMT one time.

I just didn't like the neck, a bit wide and flat for me.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • xRandomregxRandomreg Frets: 231
    @dazzajl - I am also looking at the new MY signature Gretsch but had one of the early MY2 and didn't really get on with it but it's certainly on the radar

@stimpsonslostson - didn't know that at time re the nut but it's putting me off a bit a the moment - one came up a little while ago and I wanted to buy but just didn't want to commit - I guess I could always drop it down to Feline for a once over as I am lucky enough to live close to them

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Personally I’d call up Jaydee and place an order but the wait time is a year...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jaydee?
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    Randomreg said:

I am therefore looking at the Standards or a 61 reissue

It's really difficult to give advice on SGs - there are so many variables and I don't know which ones really matter to you, in terms of pickups, neck profiles, pick guards, body carves, etc. 

If you like the idea of a 61RI, you might want to look at the Standards from 2013 & 2014 - those years were pretty close to the '61 in many respects. They also came with a lot more colour choices. My own preference is for the '14 (which I did buy over the '13), as I can't stand the thick nibs Gibson USA have been using on bound necks for the last 20 years or so - see what I mean about variables and preferences? The '14 had fret over binding and coil splitters. You may prefer the '13 as it doesn't have the 12th fret inlay of the '14, which may matter if you really want to recreate the look of one of AY's SGs.

If you like thicker necks and batwings, the '16 HP would be worth looking at, or the '17 HP if you want an angel wing pickguard; those HP models also seem to have a deeper carve around the horns (not quite a '61), whereas, for some reason, Gibson put really shallow carves on the 'T' models in those years. Personally, I really like the wider 'soloist' necks on those HP models.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    I’d buy the awesome SG Classic in classifieds , 2 p90s and hard case ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    I really like the batwing Standards (anything from 1990-2010-ish). For 600 quid you can't go wrong - nice middle-sized neck. Pickups are good for rock and a bit bland for anything else, but easily replaced. And I like nibs :)

The 61s are nice guitars with 57 Classics, which suit SGs very well. But more money, and more often neck heavy (due to bigger headstock and different strap button placement). 

Since 2012 they've been fucking about with the specs so much I've lost track, but the one I played in Perth a year ago was a nice guitar. Probably a 2017-model-year Std. I didn't like the bright white binding but otherwise it was great. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    @Bigsby - You hit the bail on the head - so many changes in Gibson models from year to year and I gave up trying to work out what I want hence going back to what I know with the 2000-2005 standard or a 61 reissue which seems to fit the bill
    Maybe I should get the sig model again and get the tuning issue sorted
    Def want Humbuckers - can always change out and I prefer the wider neck , not too thin a profile and I like the nibs

Thanks
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    thanks @Moe_Zambeek ;
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Did you get the nut checked on the Angus model? I've had a couple of SGs & tuning problems are almost always a nut issue. 

P90 + SG = heaven. 

Yeah agreed - since a proper setup my SG is pretty much as stable as any other guitar I've had, tuning wise.

I struggle with a bridge P90 in my SG though, maybe it's just mine or the ones I've tried so far. Always sounds a bit too thin and lacking in balls compared to a humbucker. Which annoys me as in the right guitar P90s are my favourite! I have a neck P90 in mine which I love but even the Bare Knuckle Pig 90 I had sounded a bit lacking.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5770
    Randomreg said:
    @dazzajl - I am also looking at the new MY signature Gretsch but had one of the early MY2 and didn't really get on with it but it's certainly on the radar

I was just joking of course but damn fine work sir. Will be a fabulous pair. 
  • TTBZ said:
    Did you get the nut checked on the Angus model? I've had a couple of SGs & tuning problems are almost always a nut issue. 

P90 + SG = heaven. 

Yeah agreed - since a proper setup my SG is pretty much as stable as any other guitar I've had, tuning wise.

I struggle with a bridge P90 in my SG though, maybe it's just mine or the ones I've tried so far. Always sounds a bit too thin and lacking in balls compared to a humbucker. Which annoys me as in the right guitar P90s are my favourite! I have a neck P90 in mine which I love but even the Bare Knuckle Pig 90 I had sounded a bit lacking.
    I have the opposite issue: I dislike neck humbuckers- I find them a bit muddy, a good p90 always keeps the clarity I like. 

That said, my main guitars don't have neck pickups at all. I have an Esquire & SG Jr which just sounds like rock and roll to me. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Yeah I'm not keen on neck humbuckers, nor neck pickups in general either. Just wish I could find a bridge P90 that works well in my SG.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7883
    A red one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I found the same nut / tuning issue with my 2016 Faded. I had the nut replaced and a setup done and it’s now super stable and plays amazingly. I’ve no idea what neck shape it has, but I really really like it. Not too fat and not too skinny. I’ve been wanting a 2016 P90 Standard for ages but just can’t justify it. May try a set of P90s in my Faded though for a while. Mine has the 490R/T combo humbuckers and there’s nothing wrong with them at all.

One issue I had was with the PCB being too big for the cavity. My Dad and I replaced that with standard wiring and upgraded the pots. Made a huge difference. I expect the Standards etc of similar age could have this issue too.
    thanks @andyp the nut seems the key - you'd think Gibson might have got it right by now