not sure how much ivory is used in guitars (nuts or fretmarkers?) but if you have it, read on...

What's Hot
valevale Frets: 1052
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/29/new-zealand-ivory-keys-imported-antique-piano

"will have to fit expensive synthetic tops to the keys, intends to fight the government order that he also pay for the removal and dumping of the ivory."
hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14658
    edited July 2018
    Sledgehammer to crack a nut. 
    • The bureaucrats presume that animals were killed specifically to obtain their ivory. 
    • Source certification is a relatively recent thing. Difficult to prove either way on old materials.
    • Destroying old objects is not going to bring the dead animals back to life.
    • The African elephant is almost certainly doomed to extinction anyway. (Habitat destruction.)
    • The best that denying access to ivory objects in the present can achieve is to reduce the desire of individuals to acquire it in the future.
    • Human nature being what it is, people will still endeavour to possess stuff even after it is made illegal to do so.
    Roll up. Get your Novichok here. Edvard Munch paintings available on request. Frames extra! 

Back on topic. Ivory might occur in bindings or as a nut. I associate its use more with the lute. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5464
    This should be a cautionary tale for any CITES I material - which includes Brazilian rosewood of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom