Another baritone question (brands etc)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• what budget?
    what scale length?
    what tuning?
    what style?

Well, I'm not a pro, so not a pro budget. The neck I ordered is a tele neck, so it'll be a tele body. I'd probably keep it as a standard tele setup. Will tune B to B/C to C.

Mainly indie, alt rock, clean, just breaking up. I won't be playing heavy metal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11943
    what budget?
    what scale length?
    what tuning?
    what style?

Well, I'm not a pro, so not a pro budget. The neck I ordered is a tele neck, so it'll be a tele body. I'd probably keep it as a standard tele setup. Will tune B to B/C to C.

Mainly indie, alt rock, clean, just breaking up. I won't be playing heavy metal.
    what scale length?

Beware of how muddy the sound can get, I've found humbuckers rarely work
  • It will be a 27.7 scale neck. I'll keep the tele tuners, as standard.
    edited October 2018
    It will be a 27.7 scale neck. I'll keep the tele tuners, as standard.
    OK, so my advice is, and it's a personal taste thing: don't try to go too low with that scale length
    My findings are that there is a sweet spot for gauge and tuning for each scale length. For my 27 inch blacktop baritone, it's D-D with normal strings or one gauge up. my 30 inch ones do B-B fine with full on baritone gauge sets.
    The result is that if you go too low and too heavy a gauge,  the instrument stops sounding like a guitar, which is not what I want - but is exactly what some people are looking for of course.

I use this site to work out what gauges can work:
    http://vinic.free.fr/strings/
    try to keep the tensions close to your normal gauge and tuning
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good to know. I've seen some hard rock guys play regular scale guitars tuned down. I'm going to aim to tune to B in any case.
    Good to know. I've seen some hard rock guys play regular scale guitars tuned down. I'm going to aim to tune to B in any case.
    worth a try, if it sounds flubby to you, then try C or C# with lighter strings
  • There's a guy in Ireland selling walnut bodies for teles. They sure as hell look good and might help with any potential neck dive :)
    Also: think about active pickups and active EQ like a bass, I've found that it's not so easy to dial in a sound on a bari
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    edited October 2018
    So my Allparts tele neck arrived today. On we go!
  • Neck and body bought so far, and small bits of hardware. Not too sure what pickups to get....
    Had thought about Seymour Duncan, then looked at the Bare Knuckle Yardbirds, which might be what I'll go for....
    It's hard to be sure that you'd share my assessment, but I'd say that based on owning 6 baritone electrics (only 3 now), the last thing you would want for playing clean on a baritone is pickups with boosted mids, I'd ask BK about that idea before buying them

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    edited October 2018
    I'd never have thought about the boosted mids... I am thinking about something standard enough though.

Looks like the dimarzio twang kings have boosted mids, whereas something like the SD alnico IIs or vintage teles don't, so might be a good option.
    whichever pickups I have used on any of mine, they have ended up sounded muddier and more mid-heavy than you would normal expect for the pickup used, because of the string gauge and the tuning. If you want clarity in your cleans, I'd be looking at the lower-wind / vintage-wound / brighter pickups
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah ok. I'd probably just narrow it down to SD or diMarzio. I can always swap out down the line. Will be playing slightly dirty / overdriven, but not hard rock / heavy metal.
  • The last piece of the puzzle. Pickups! No idea. Hand wound or not. Oil City etc... :(
  • Took a punt on a set of Iron Gear standard tele pickups. I can always upgrade after a while. Had a set of them in a previous baritone build, and they were fine for what I was using it for.