Shredders of Metal!

What's Hot
VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
Don't think this has been posted yet - looks fairly amusing (although I wouldn't bother if you don't like this kind of thing though!). I've only watched the first one so far - bit like X-Factor for shred guitar. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    LOL, for fuck's sake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    octatonic said:
    LOL, for fuck's sake.
    yeah...it's obviously awful but I'm still going to watch all of it later  =)

Best one is the guy who says he's going to be more melodic. He isn't. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    I actually quite enjoyed it! At least three of them were genuinely terrible, which was a surprise tbh, I thought they'd all be incredibly proficient but boring. 

It's a bit of fun, the judges are not cruel and nobody comes out of it as a dickhead. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I've been watching, but not seen the "final" yet, and I've only just twigged that one of the judges (and the showrunner) is this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Dunn

His previous credits in mind, it's a shame they so evidently had such a small talent pool of contestants. When one considers how many killer players there are out there these days, this could have been so much better.

As it was, I felt really detached from the scene. If this is what a metal solo is supposed to be, I'm out. And I probably have more Varney-guy CDs than your average bear.

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited July 2018
    I'm two guitarists in, and I'm already losing the will to live tired_face This is as cheesy as I'd hope & expect it would be.

Third guy is much better!

"You've been shredded" :astonished: This is amazing, haha.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22959
    Ooh, I can't wait to get home and watch this.  What was that thing on Sky Arts a few years ago, Guitar Star or something?  I don't have Sky so I had to watch it on YouTube, presumably it's died a death now.
    Philly_Q said:
    Ooh, I can't wait to get home and watch this.  What was that thing on Sky Arts a few years ago, Guitar Star or something?  I don't have Sky so I had to watch it on YouTube, presumably it's died a death now.
    Was that the one with Milos & I believe George Benson? My uncle kept telling me to watch it, but not having Sky made it kinda difficult.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited July 2018
    p90fool said:
    I actually quite enjoyed it! At least three of them were genuinely terrible, which was a surprise tbh, I thought they'd all be incredibly proficient but boring. 

It's a bit of fun, the judges are not cruel and nobody comes out of it as a dickhead. 
    word.

more enjoyable than I expected. not really my thing but all the same, Frankie C by a country mile.
    Tenebrous said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Was that the one with Milos & I believe George Benson? My uncle kept telling me to watch it, but not having Sky made it kinda difficult.
    I think you're right, the first series had Nitin Sawhney and whatsisface out of Fun Lovin' Criminals as judges, I didn't see much of the second series but I think GB was a judge.
    Just finished the final episode. The right guy won as he killed it every episode. I thought the finale was awesome, and it's just all so friendly, fun & respectful. Can't help but think of this as an example of what guitar can & should be about.

Cheesy as hell, but amazing fun.

Philly_Q said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I think you're right, the first series had Nitin Sawhney and whatsisface out of Fun Lovin' Criminals as judges, I didn't see much of the second series but I think GB was a judge.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but I've no idea who either of those are :tired_face: (I've heard of FLC, but I've no idea who their guitarist is).

Wonder if I can find it online somewhere. Sounds like it'd be worth the watch.

• Not watched it (yet), but I've enjoyed all of the Sam Dunn stuff I've seen. He seems to be a genuinely nice and knowledgeable metal enthusiast. 
    If you've not seen Metal: Evolution or Headbangers Journey you should. 
    Tenebrous said:

Philly_Q said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Philly_Q said:

You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but I've no idea who either of those are :tired_face: (I've heard of FLC, but I've no idea who their guitarist is).

Wonder if I can find it online somewhere. Sounds like it'd be worth the watch.

No ignorance to pardon, I've no idea who Milos is and I don't even care....

I watched the first series on YouTube, I guess it's probably still there somewhere.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    DLM said:

I've been watching, but not seen the "final" yet, and I've only just twigged that one of the judges (and the showrunner) is this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Dunn

His previous credits in mind, it's a shame they so evidently had such a small talent pool of contestants. When one considers how many killer players there are out there these days, this could have been so much better.

As it was, I felt really detached from the scene. If this is what a metal solo is supposed to be, I'm out. And I probably have more Varney-guy CDs than your average bear.

Banger TV is Sam's YouTube channel and often has some interesting stuff on it. Not so keen on this particular show - but there discussions on metal genres have been very entertaining, as are some of the interviews they've done. 

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    Some gents on here would call me a 'shredder and even I couldn't watch this without wanting to throw my guitar at the monitor. 

What a ridiculous load of bollocks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    Stevepage said:
    Some gents on here would call me a 'shredder and even I couldn't watch this without wanting to throw my guitar at the monitor. 

What a ridiculous load of bollocks 
    Maybe it's because I'm definitely not a shredder that I thought it was harmless fun. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Quite enjoyed that, it’s silly, but good natured silly.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Ha, just watched the whole thing. It was a great watch, the ideas for the rounds and the nature of it was so much better than that guitar star shit that was on actual telly. Best thing was the judges called it right every single time, which is rare for this kind of thing.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    it was silly, and not as bad as I thought it would be having watched the rest - and as commented, it was good natured and all taken in good spirit...and I do like Sam Dunn, he's a nice genuine chap (got one of his DVDs, can't remember which one now, but it was good). The concept is inherently silly, but so is heavy metal really, which is part of the reason I love it so much  =) Nice they got some young players in who weren't actually all technically perfect (agree with @DLM that there's loads better out there, but that might have made it less interesting?, all still learning and who gave it a good shot. Best guy definitely won too. 
  • Took that with a pinch of salt and it was light hearted. However that’s was some of the worst guitar tones I’ve ever heard amp wise 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Just watched the first one.. agree with much of what has been said... Not the best players, but all done in good fun, and the tones mostly suck.. probably not using the right tonewood or something...

However, as judges said, it can't be easy just going In front of cameras and just playing.. 

Will watch the rest.
    ;)