Current favourite pedal builders/companies?

What's Hot
nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
edited April 2014 in FX
This has probably been asked before but I didn't have time to trawl through all the old posts!

I'm always interested to come across new builders, especially ones who are trying something different. Thought this post may help direct me and others in some new directions.

For me personally I still really dig the Fairfield Circuitry builds. They've been around for a while but they keep bringing out some exciting pedals which don't fit the standard clone approach of many boutique companies. Can't wait for their new analogue delay Maude to come out!

So who else is worth checking out?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I also dig Fairfield - loved the Barbershop and Four Eyes in particular. Immaculate build quality, too.

Hudson Electronics make superb retro voiced stuff. Again, immaculate builds and super nice to deal with. I have a few of their pedals and all are awesome.

Not particularly small or new, but I like Mojo Hand and Skreddy stuff a lot. While obviously still the "upper end" the price points of the Mojo Hand stuff is very appealing. I've owned/used several of their OD's, a few of their fuzzes, both the Sugar Baby and Bayou trems, the Villanova and the Nebula and they've all been very, very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Ive got a few custom pedals on order with arcane Analog of Canada. Lovely lovely build and attention to detail
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    for the last 2 years now i've really dug everything Black Arts Toneworks has put out for all dirt and fuzz needs.

everything else i really like Earthquaker Devices...they just seem to nail every effect the way i think it should sound.

as far as stock standard brands, its a toss up between MXR and EHX...something about the "X" i think?!?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I'm still mightily impressed with Menatone. I wish it was easier to get them over here.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've always loved the shape and visual of the Proco rat2, when I see one on someone's board I know my ears are in for a nasty party.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    This isn't new. I bought mine in 2008 and have gone through scores of pedals since. But i still have yet to see anyone match exactly what it does, and how much it does, in one box: Roger Linn's Adrenalinn 3.

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Forge effects of this very forum, great service and prices and a cracking rangeof fuzz pedals, or will often build a special one off to fit your needs (i have two!). Also loving oxfuzz
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Me. Though I'm slightly biased. ;)
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Forge effects of this very forum, great service and prices and a cracking rangeof fuzz pedals, or will often build a special one off to fit your needs (i have two!). Also loving oxfuzz
    I have a Forge on the way. Very excited about it, too.

@juansolo - I must agree. I have had a fair few of his builds through my grubby chain and they have all been excellent. Your Mutron Phase clone haunts my dreams, along with my pedalboard real estate.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Paul Trombetta.

Completely unique designs. Known for being mainly 'fuzz' pedals (i don't like fuzz !), but his stuff overdrives and cleans up superbly. Very powerful and flexible pedals.

• vizviz Frets: 10697
    Robert Keeley :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited April 2014
    3 quality builders that I know of over here although I'm sure there are more- have a klone built by one & it's very nice - AC Tone clone on order now too.. Jimmy Behan Effects, Alan Byrne (Pyr0man) and Cian Moose - Moose Electronics
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• viz;204670" said:
    I've never heard of someone owning so many :p
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I've been really boring and focused on Boss for many years.  However I now find them a bit sterile so have been branching out.  Digitech's Hardwires are more interesting and I think as well made.  For more 'boutique' solutions I have recently got a couple of Catalinbread pedals and I like the quality of build and tone.
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    viz;204670" said:
    I've never heard of someone owning so many :p

neither have I! But i just think if you can get a 2nd hand keeley modded pedal for the same price as a new unmodded one, then why not! The last one I got, a Boss TR2 tremolo, was 45 euros and it's absolutely fine. And he's got a very good name.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    edited April 2014
    Mr Black and Malekko are my current favourites although I am gassing for practically the entire Earthquaker Devices catalogue.

Emanating fist are a new division of D*A*M that have some interesting sounding fuzz pedals with bizarre names.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Hugely into D*A*M and emanating fist atm. Love the fairfield stuff also. A few that i've tried recently and loved are

-castledine
    -skinpimp
    -Pigdog
    -Pigeon FX
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ZVex for me

love the variety of sounds, love how they are on the verge of disaster as well.

A fuzz factory can be like taming a wild horse, in a good way :-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Hymnal;205817" said:
    Hugely into D*A*M and emanating fist atm. Love the fairfield stuff also. A few that i've tried recently and loved are

-castledine-skinpimp-Pigdog-Pigeon FX
    I've heard good things about dam, but they are some properly expensive fuzz pedals...

I like the classics - boss, mxr, Digitech. Between them, I could quite happily get great tones for recording and gigging.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1562
    Bearfoot are really really good and my personal favourite.