Average Speed Cameras?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    axisus said:
    I heard that they can't follow you if you switch lanes between different cameras? Might be an urban myth I suppose.
    Used to be true back when they first came out apparantly. 

Not anymore. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    siremoon said:
    skunkwerx said:
    They do get tickets. 

Its why they put them there. They make millions.

Near to me the A217 is a good example of the risk of the latter.  It has average speed cameras, the cameras are very inconspicuous and the signs warning of their presence are very small and easily missed.  It is one of the main routes from the M25 to Epsom racecourse and I expect many visitors to Derby week this year got tickets.  

Ah ... the momories.... i remember the “mad mile” dual carriageway section between Belmont and Banstead was a great place to burn some rubber back in the day. Started at the crossroad lights and the test was to do the ton, and slow down for the roundabout.  ;)

What is it now 50? 40? Please don’t tell me it’s now a single lane with a 30? B=gger if it is. That’s Saturday night fun gone.
    The thing about average speed cameras and reducing speed limits, is that at slower speeds the roads can handle more traffic. In other words, capacity increases at slower speeds. I strongly suspect that rather than trying to educate us plebs about lane manners, the Government finds it easier to control us, and extracting more from us in fines is the cherry on the cake.

To us, average speeds cameras make no sense when there’s no workforce to protect. Sundays being a prime example. Why can’t they have a moratorium at weekends? And just revert back to standard speed limits?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    fandango said:
    siremoon said:
    skunkwerx said:
    They do get tickets. 

Near to me the A217 is a good example of the risk of the latter.  It has average speed cameras, the cameras are very inconspicuous and the signs warning of their presence are very small and easily missed.  It is one of the main routes from the M25 to Epsom racecourse and I expect many visitors to Derby week this year got tickets.  

Ah ... the momories.... i remember the “mad mile” dual carriageway section between Belmont and Banstead was a great place to burn some rubber back in the day. Started at the crossroad lights and the test was to do the ton, and slow down for the roundabout.  ;)

What is it now 50? 40? Please don’t tell me it’s now a single lane with a 30? B=gger if it is. That’s Saturday night fun gone.
    The mad mile is 60.  The 40 with the av speed cameras is from the Banstead lights all the way to the M25
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    siremoon said:
    fandango said:
    siremoon said:
    skunkwerx said:
    They do get tickets. 

The mad mile is 60.  The 40 with the av speed cameras is from the Banstead lights all the way to the M25
    Aw ... shucks. Life is becoming harder and more frustrating by the day. Someone’s sucking the life out of the universe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I know right. Down where I work, at Lakeside used to get mad on Friday and Saturday nights. 

Loads of ‘street racing’ which was more just chavs showing off their barrys, but it was a scene to behold. Hundreds of cars, the carriageways lined with crowds of people, all the car parks full of modified motors. 

Police would usually be there en masse by midnight tugging a few people over. 

Then a couple years ago a dispersal order was enforced. No gatherings or spectating allowed. 

Mcdonalds must have taken a huge hit, as the drive thru was always heaving til the small hours. 

If I was bored I’d often park up somewhere and have a watch. 

But tbh, I did witness a few accidents resulting from people who clearly can’t control a rwd car, attempting to drift around the roundabouts. Of course no one ever stopped. It was madness really. 

Then people started getting injured or killed. 

Part of me misses it, but really, i don’t condone any racey or dangerous behaviour on public roads, and the entire turn out was mostly dickheads. 

Like a really shit scene from Fast & Furious, with Essex girls to boot. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2580
    tFB Trader
    There will be a tolerance allowance based on

Speedometer accuracy
    Speed camera accuracy
    Actual distance between camera's - which is dependent on which lane you are in and how the road curves

Personally I would not risk higher than 10% extra, but I just use my cruise control
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    How do these work? Reason I ask is because whenever I drive through an area with these cameras in operation there's always drivers that either speed passed me or are constantly driving 10+ mph over the top speed "allowed"... hmm
    Two mitigating factors: -

1.  Speedos typically over-read, not as much as people think, but a modern electronic speedo will always over-read by a couple of mph to ensure if it goes out of calibration or you change the wheels etc. it can't break the law by saying you are going slower than you actually are.

2. Tolerance.  On no road in the UK is speed enforced without tolerance, though speeding is an absolute offense, so an individual officer can do you for 31mph past a school in a 30mph limit if they see fit.

Typically, the tolerances set in the ACPO guidelines are still observed, so 10% + 2mph.  This is so enforcement is proportional and fair, and also you have clearly committed an offense beyond reasonable doubt when caught, when taking into account calibration of the equipment.

So, you could potentially just about get away with an indicated 60mph in an 50mph average speed zone, but I'd consider that very iffy and liable to end up with a ticket.

Safest thing to do if you don't want a ticket is don't speed.
    Mine is about 2mph over for most speeds.  So some are very close.  And remember it may change slightly with new tyres
    My ex girlfriend had a clio once a few years back, and her speedometer didnt work. Apparantly it wasnt even an mot fail.. which was bizarre.. so she refused to pay to fix it. 

When I asked her how the fuck she knew what speed she was doing through cameras, she said ‘I just go the same as everyone else’. 

Mad woman. You’ll be glad to know shes living in Australia now. Lols. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    skunkwerx said:
    My ex girlfriend had a clio once a few years back, and her speedometer didnt work. Apparantly it wasnt even an mot fail.. which was bizarre.. so she refused to pay to fix it.
    Apparently a working speedometer has only been required for an MOT pass from 2012 onwards. Before that it was a legal requirement to have one, but not that it had to work - but if it did work, it had to be within the legally allowed margin of error. So presumably, if your speedo was faulty you could just disconnect it and still be within the law. Bizarre indeed!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Apparently a working speedometer has only been required for an MOT pass from 2012 onwards. Before that it was a legal requirement to have one, but not that it had to work - but if it did work, it had to be within the legally allowed margin of error. So presumably, if your speedo was faulty you could just disconnect it and still be within the law. Bizarre indeed!
    Ah that explains it. So weird haha.