Reverb - Original Lifton case from the 50's?

What's Hot
Im no expert but isn't this just a custom shop outer shell with an old interior? 

https://reverb.com/item/13281308-gibson-les-paul-lifton-hardcase-circa-1950-s-five-latch-1959
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    That doesn't look right to me, the outer colour and condition looks wrong too, scam comes to mind

I'm not an expert so hopefully someone else will chime in
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • @iain.reverb Can you offer any help on this?
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6839
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    If that’s a 50’s Lifton then I’m Bernie Clifton....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • @iain.reverb Can you offer any help on this?
    It does look like a new case, but I'm no expert. I'll flag it and see if one of my collegaues can take a more educated look. Why don't you send the seller a message, for further info/pics ?
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2473
    It’s definitely a reissue case with replacement lining. I have an original 50’s Lifton case here in front of me! 
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    It’s definitely a reissue case with replacement lining. I have an original 50’s Lifton case here in front of me! 

I've got a couple here as well. The hard-wear looks right as well as the lining.  Perhaps it is an original case that had lost its outer covering and has been recovered with the same stuff Gibson use now?
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Actually, just looked again on a bigger screen and the hard wear looks like modern that's been "aged"   So fake news .
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    The guitar world is really pissing me off. Now we have to spend time and effort thinking of a decent concatenation for these fake cases.. so Chifton? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    The fact that he is asking a third of the price he himself has researched and mentioned in the listing proves it's a fake.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    this looks like a case for a Columb....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Why would it be in ‘tatty condition internally’ and not more so externally?!
    I agree, Looks like this dude is trying to purposely rip someone off. Im assuming the brown tape on the bottom is either there from his attempt to remove the old interior or to provide some non authentic relic'ing. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14295
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    The fact that he is asking a third of the price he himself has researched and mentioned in the listing proves it's a fake.
    my first thought as well - if original and genuine any vintage dealer would have snapped his hand of at such a good price

Bridgehouse
    said:
    The guitar world is really pissing me off. Now we have to spend time and effort thinking of a decent concatenation for these fake cases.. so Chifton? 
    I like that - did it come naturally or something you thought about over a coffee
  • Why would you buy one of these even if it were pukka original? A Hiscox case will protect your prize guitar so much better!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    Why would you buy one of these even if it were pukka original? A Hiscox case will protect your prize guitar so much better!

Because if you have a Gibson of that vintage then it's the 'matching' case for your guitar, from a collecting perspective.  They also look nice, I think.  However you're right,  they're not very good!  I've got a very tatty 4 latch Lifton that my LP Special came in but even in decent condition I wouldn't use it for any serious transporting of the guitar.