Gronlund Guitars

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
edited August 2018 in Guitar
I'm guessing probably not but has anyone heard of these?

https://reverb.com/uk/shop/gronlundguitars

Beautiful guitars, hand-crafted in Maine. Love his designs - classic but contemporary. The build quality seems fabulous and he uses top-spec fittings. Have loved them from afar for some time. 

So I have a dilemma. I'm planning on buying one more guitar and then taking a break from buying for a while. I was just about to buy a Gibson ES Les Paul goldtop which looks beautiful. But lovely Mr Gronlund has now offered me a cracking discount on one of his. I would be buying it blind and unplayed. Really wary of that with an unknown make - as good as they seem. Gibson obviously have their critics but I've never had an issue with one personally.

Worried about resale value on the Gronlund - incredibly low, I suspect. But it does look lovely and has a fabulous spec.

What to do....

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited August 2018
    If you're worrying about resale before you have bought it you have already answered your own question buddy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited August 2018
    I'm not too keen on the headstock, but that tele-esque Bigsby equipped job is one of the best looking guitars I've seen in a while...

Not sure what I'd do in your position, honestly. How much of the resale value loss would you be able to cut out with the discount you're getting?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Tenebrous said:
    I'm not too keen on the headstock, but that tele-esque Bigsby equipped job is one of the best looking guitars I've seen in a while...

Not sure what I'd do in your position, honestly. How much of the resale value loss would you be able to cut out with the discount you're getting?

That's the one I was looking at. It's actually 335 size. Beautiful isn't it...

Thinking resale value would be £600 at a guess?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14272
    tFB Trader
    I've not been to the LA NAMM Show now for a few years - But when walking around this vast show you come across many such boutique based builders - Take into account the likes of PRS started off with a small stand and was once a totally unknown builder - So you always had in the back of your mind, can you find the next brand that can be taken from unknown to a good selling line 

With many such guitars, you look at them, you play them, you look at the price, then walk away, after you realise that whilst there is probably nothing wrong with the guitar itself, you just don't see much of a market for it 

I would be more worried about the resale value then anything else - Of course if it plays and sounds exactly as you hope it would, then you probably don't need to sell it - But few if any would show genuine interest in it if it was ever offered for sale or trade in - Of course such issues change if a main stream, well known, guitar player ever decides to play one on a regular basis
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14272
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Tenebrous said:

do agree this was the one I looked at first so somehow more appeal
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6686
    My advice is to buy it and keep it forever. Resale concerns over....  ;)
    Hattigol said:
    Tenebrous said:

Don't worry too much. If you decide you like it, I'll give you at least £650 for that :astonished: 

It's all down to the individuals situation, but I couldn't spend £2k+ on a guitar I'd struggle to get 35% back on.
    Hattigol said:
    Tenebrous said:

Don't worry too much. If you decide you like it, I'll give you at least £650 for that :astonished: 

It's all down to the individuals situation, but I couldn't spend £2k+ on a guitar I'd struggle to get 35% back on.
    It's actually 40% off the list price but there is shipping on top plus customs etc.
    Leaning towards the Gibson. Although i suspect there are plenty of people here who would advise me against that....!
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1679
    Hattigol said:
    Tenebrous said:

Yeah, that's the one isn't it...

Beyond the obvious Tele/Gretsch references, it reminds me of a Starcaster - especially from the waist down.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28331
    I quite like the other OS15.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited August 2018
    I like them. 25% import / duty and even with a discount it may be a risk...
    DannyP said:
    Hattigol said:
    Tenebrous said:

Yeah, that's the one isn't it...

Beyond the obvious Tele/Gretsch references, it reminds me of a Starcaster - especially from the waist down.
    Agreed. I see more Starcaster in it than Tele to be honest...
  • I have one - incredible finish and fully handmade so no neck blanks being bought in etc.  James is a really talented and humble guy - recommended all round.  Completely different experience to another builder where the whole thing was a nightmare and made me worried to try a small shop again.
    I have one - incredible finish and fully handmade so no neck blanks being bought in etc.  James is a really talented and humble guy - recommended all round.  Completely different experience to another builder where the whole thing was a nightmare and made me worried to try a small shop again.
    He's lovely, isn't he.
    Pictures of the guitar?
    Wow. What a beauty. Even if it is the wrong way up....!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know :(

The cocked wah esquire wiring mod makes it really versatile for one pickup. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10469
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    merlin said:
    My advice is to buy it and keep it forever. Resale concerns over.... 
    Just this ... buy it, use it, enjoy it. 
    And it reminds me more of a Rick than a Tele
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message