Pickup winding question . . .

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

I saw this picture just now and it got me thinking.

IMG_1161jpg

What would it sound like if you used the same base, magnets etc. but wrapped the wire round the outside (making it a single coil unless you stacked them) of both instead of having two separate coils?
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14443
    Wrap the copper wire around the outside of what?

Around the outer sides of both bobbins - as if they were one wide form coil?

I predict Not Good.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

Yes, so the wind makes a wide, rectangular shape.

It may well sound awful, but surely someone has tried it ?  ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    It would just be a very wide single coil.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    I wouldn't work well because it would be a single coil with opposite magnetic poles within the coil area, which would cancel each other out to a large extent. Given the separation of the polepieces it would produce some signal, but most likely weak and/or with a lack of fundamental and lower harmonics, since their length on the string is more than the distance between the polepieces and so would cancel themselves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    That's basically a P90 on a larger scale
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14443
    ... with the coil in a sub-optimal position relative to the bar magnet.

Perhaps, if a very thick bar magnet were positioned, on its edge, in the middle of the hypothetical wide rectangular copper coil, it might stand a chance. It would look like a mutant Charlie Christian pickup.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Alegree said:
    Except that a P90 has only one row of polepieces, with a single magnetic polarity through the coil even though there are two magnets.

This 'single humbucker' would probably sound more like what happens if you reverse one magnet in a P90.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Alegree said:
    Except that a P90 has only one row of polepieces, with a single magnetic polarity through the coil even though there are two magnets.

This 'single humbucker' would probably sound more like what happens if you reverse one magnet in a P90.
    Having made thousands of P90s, I'm pretty well versed on how they work.

Reversing one magnet in a P90 gives a very weak magnetic field. This hypothetical pickup is a bit like the lace sensor design with the string seeing positive and negative, albeit both inside the coil, as opposed to one on either side. I'd imagine it may work quite well, actually.

Sounds like an interesting experiment when I have a little window in my schedule.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Alegree said:
    ICBM said:
    Alegree said:

Who bought them?
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    ICBM said:
    Alegree said:

Who bought them?
    ?? My customers