New Stratocaster strings sounding dull or dead

What's Hot
nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
I’ve got a new Mexican Fender Standard Stratocaster which seems to be set-up well and playing nicely. I definitely enjoyed playing it at a rehearsal last weekend. However the new set of strings I put on last week are already sounding quite dull or dead, most noticeably the bottom E.

Before the last string change I put some Planet Waves LubriKit Friction Remover on the nut. My initial thought was that it may have had something to do with that, but it sounds dampened fretted up the neck as well as the open string. In comparison my Telecaster with the same kind of D’Addario EXL110s sounds really bright, when those strings have been on for much longer.

This is the first time I’ve changed the strings since buying it, so I’m not totally sure if it was like that before the string change.

Now that I think about it, I remember thinking a couple of the strings sounded a little bit dull when I put them on, although I’ve never really had a bad set of strings to be honest.

Anyway, I’m definitely going to put a new set on, but before I do so, should I check anything else, like the nut or saddles maybe?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    Where did you get the strings from? There are fake D'Addarios around.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    I think they were from a local guitar shop. I did check them online out of interest, and the D'addario checker said they were genuine. I might have had them for a year or so (but unopened).
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    nonesuch said:
    I might have had them for a year or so (but unopened).
    I think that could be the issue. They will still age over time. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Have you tried that old trick of loosening the neck screws 1/4 turn with the strings on to ensure it's seated as far back in the neck pocket as it can be? I've found that can help a little- You can tell if it wasn't because you'll hear a noise and the guitar will be out of tune.
    OK I'll go and get some new strings tomorrow and put them on, and fingers crossed everything will be fine.

I realise it's the obvious answer  - 'put some new strings on then', it's just that I've never had to replace strings after one week. I just want to make sure there's nothing else I should check before putting them on.

I'm far too frugal to keep buying strings every week!
    Have you tried that old trick of loosening the neck screws 1/4 turn with the strings on to ensure it's seated as far back in the neck pocket as it can be? I've found that can help a little- You can tell if it wasn't because you'll hear a noise and the guitar will be out of tune.
    No I didn't know about that. I'm not sure I feel too confident about trying it. Do you mean loosen the screws to see if the neck moves a bit, then tighten them back up?
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Upgrade the Trem block
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nonesuch said:
    Have you tried that old trick of loosening the neck screws 1/4 turn with the strings on to ensure it's seated as far back in the neck pocket as it can be? I've found that can help a little- You can tell if it wasn't because you'll hear a noise and the guitar will be out of tune.
    No I didn't know about that. I'm not sure I feel too confident about trying it. Do you mean loosen the screws to see if the neck moves a bit, then tighten them back up?

Hi, yes that's exactly it, just a tiny amount- 1/8th-1/4 of a turn won't let the neck come loose or snap but can just let the tension of the strings pull the neck more firmly into the socket. Definitely worth a go.
    RMJ said:
    Upgrade the Trem block
    Does that just give you increased sustain? How much difference could it make?
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Change strings first, see what gives. 

If it solves it then just wipe em down after each play and it could improve longevity. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
    nonesuch said:
    RMJ said:
    Upgrade the Trem block
    Does that just give you increased sustain? How much difference could it make?
    Replaced the trem block on my MIM Strat with a stainless steel item. It definitely made the guitar sound a little brighter and more 'zingy' but to be honest it's quite subtle. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    D'Addario use hermetically sealed bags so SHOULD last forever unused .  It's why i buy them in bulk , i have had some packs for three (poss more) years and they have always been perfect .  
      I stopped using Ernie Balls and have also tried other brands and often found slight corrosion on them even when fresh so DAddario's are a winner every time in that respect .
       You can always get a badly wound or tied string regardless of the brand.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    It might be an idea to check that your pickups are properly adjusted, pickups set too close to the strings can cause problems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Got some new D'Addario strings on this afternoon and it sounds a lot better (not suprisingly). We'll see how it sounds in a couple of days. It's just been odd, having a new guitar that I'm not used to, and the fact that I've used D'Addario strings for years and never had them sounding so dull after a few days.

And as they are sealed in a plastic bag, shouldn't they last a long, long time? It's not as if they have a sell by date.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I did check the pickup height, and I'm kind of intrigued by the 'trick' of loosening the neck slightly to pull it in tighter. I may try this at some point... If I'm feeling brave.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14441
    nonesuch said:
    It's not as if they have a sell by date.
    Steel is constantly trying to revert to iron. The air and any condensation inside the sealed bag will be enough for the oxidation reaction to occur. Rust never sleeps. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I forgot you said its a new guitar... 

Is the board maple or pau ferro? 

Either way really i’ve always found new guitars are actually pretty filthy. 

Most guitars I’ve owned leave my fingers grippier and blacker than usual, even by just a little. I guess the boards/frets are dirty from the factory or whoevers had their hands on it since. 

Some manufactures also dye their boards, which residue usually comes off on your fingers, then into your strings as you play. 

That would crud the strings up and make em dull. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    skunkwerx said:
    I forgot you said its a new guitar... 

Is the board maple or pau ferro? 

Either way really i’ve always found new guitars are actually pretty filthy.
    Yeah it's new, I've only had it a couple of weeks, so it was the first string change. It's a maple fretboard, and it seemed to be pretty clean. I think is is now anyway.
    Steel is constantly trying to revert to iron. The air and any condensation inside the sealed bag will be enough for the oxidation reaction to occur. Rust never sleeps. 
    Well yes, Neil Young was correct, BUT...

D'Addario's packaging says 'VCI Corrosion Protection - Our Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor keeps your strings factory fresh'.

Doesn't say how VCI works, but it sounds like a good idea!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    edited August 2018
    nonesuch said:
    It's not as if they have a sell by date.

Steel isn't trying to revert to iron.  Rust is iron oxide not iron.

Rusting needs water to be present.  It's a pretty safe bet that everything in the pack will be dry when it is sealed.

Nitrogen is used in the packing of food to make it last longer.  It wouldn't surprise me if that's what D'Addario's "Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor" is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    edited August 2018
    crunchman said:

Rusting needs water to be present.  It's a pretty safe bet that everything in the pack will be dry when it is sealed.
    And oxygen. If there's no oxygen, no rust can occur.

I would guess it will be nitrogen or possibly some other inert gas like carbon dioxide. I've used D'Addario strings which have been unopened for years (odd packets of unusual gauges mostly) and never found any with corrosion or sounding odd.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein