HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
Pros and cons guys of havin' the bridge PUP wired, or not, to a tone pot

thanks  :)
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    100% wired to the tone pot for me - Many like tone for neck/middle + tone bridge - Eric Johnson mod as it is now known is tone neck + tone bridge so no pot adjustment on the middle

Getting more popular is master vol + tone and the bottom pot now blend for neck + bridge together, or combination of

But on hi-gain I find the tone pot allows you to slightly roll off 'fizzy highs'

Easy mod to do - longest part of the job is removing the scratchplate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    I think it is fair to say that if today, 2018, was the launch date for a new guitar called a Strat, then the 5 way switch would have been standard and the tone pot wired to bridge as well - No reason it should not be
    Adam_MD said:
    I think it is fair to say that if today, 2018, was the launch date for a new guitar called a Strat, then the 5 way switch would have been standard and the tone pot wired to bridge as well - No reason it should not be
    The weird thing is fender still make a few models which don't have the bridge pickup wired to a tone pot don't they or have they finally sorted that out?  Even on the cheaper models of strat there's no reason not to.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    but some guys say it rolls of some "ooomph" and small volume drop
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    but some guys say it rolls of some "ooomph" and small volume drop
    I get that with a tele/esquire but not sure I'd want that with a strat bridge pickup.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10594
    tFB Trader
    I simply can't use a Strat without that mod.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    Adam_MD said:
    I tend to have the tone rolled right back on the neck pickup, but not on the middle. I wouldn’t want them both connected to the same tone pot. I rarely use the bridge pickup on a Strat so am quite happy with it not connected to a tone control. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    Adam_MD said:
    The weird thing is fender still make a few models which don't have the bridge pickup wired to a tone pot don't they or have they finally sorted that out?  Even on the cheaper models of strat there's no reason not to.
    more so on vintage replica models - less so on 'modern' creations
  • hootsmon said:
    Pros and cons guys of havin' the bridge PUP wired, or not, to a tone pot

thanks  :)
    Just fit a no-load tone pot. Drops out of the circuit when you don’t need it.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I was actually planning on making a thread to ask about Strat bridge pickup.

I'd always read people saying they hate it and that the tele bridge is infinitely better so, even though I've always quite liked the Strat bridge pickup (always connected to a tone pot but often play it on 10), I always thought that I should get a tele and the tone will be so much better.

I borrowed a tele recently and find that while I do like the tele well enough, I definitely don't prefer it to the Strat one. It sounds very different, has more attack and is a lot darker sounding. It is obviously hotter too.

I wonder if the specific Strat pickups I have - fat 50s - sound different to most? Or are there plenty of other people who also like the Strat bridge pickup?

If I wanted to play styles that I'd personally use a humbucker for, but was forced to use a "caster" I'd take the tele over the Strat but obviously that isn't the case.

Any thoughts on that?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    edited August 2018
    thegummy said:
    I'd always read people saying they hate it and that the tele bridge is infinitely better so, even though I've always quite liked the Strat bridge pickup (always connected to a tone pot but often play it on 10), I always thought that I should get a tele and the tone will be so much better.

I borrowed a tele recently and find that while I do like the tele well enough, I definitely don't prefer it to the Strat one. It sounds very different, has more attack and is a lot darker sounding. It is obviously hotter too.

I wonder if the specific Strat pickups I have - fat 50s - sound different to most? Or are there plenty of other people who also like the Strat bridge pickup?

If I wanted to play styles that I'd personally use a humbucker for, but was forced to use a "caster" I'd take the tele over the Strat but obviously that isn't the case.

Any thoughts on that?
    The bridge pick-up on the Strat in my profile pick sounds great. It is connected to a tone control - which although I never use it - does roll off the ‘really’ high, high end. I too prefer a good Strat bridge pick-up to a Tele.

The guitar has a lot of low-end played acoustically - which translates to the plugged-in sound - plenty of ‘woody’ depth.

The pick-ups are CS 50s - which aren’t available separately - normal vintage-style output
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    I bought a cheapie Squier SE  which sounded terrble but after a drop in pickup height was much better.Not saying the  ceramic gut blaster pickups were top notch but good enough and very stratty .
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I like my Stratocaster bridge pickup wired to a no-load tone control. I generally have it in the no load or off position but it’s good to be able to take off a bit of high end if needed.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    You're doing it wrong. Neck pickup is where it's at on a strat
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One nice thing about the middle and bridge sharing the same tone pot is that you don’t get double tone roll off when using both together. So, it’s brighter than the mid+neck position. 

I have a master volume/master tone, with a bass-cut on the third knob. 
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    Strats have tone pots?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10594
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    RMJ said:
    You're doing it wrong. Neck pickup is where it's at on a strat
    I used to think that way ... never used the bridge pickup .... and seldom used the middle. Nowadays a combination of a baseplate on the bridge pickup and wiring it into the tone control means I use the bridge a hell of a lot.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    I got a noload pot on and I can turn the high end down. Before it was standard. The difference is cool to have and it is od that stays on my partscaster.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
  • FezFez Frets: 533
    I did the mod on one of my strats but didn't like it so I reversed it. 
    Don't touch that dial.