NPD - Walrus Audio Contraband

teradaterada Frets: 5114
edited August 2018 in FX
Hi Everyone,

Picked this up today as part of GuitarGuitar's sale. There wasn't much knocked off it to be honest but I liked the tone so went for it!

Odd one this, It is kind of like a fuzz/distortion but with a built in gate. Only one control for volume and a toggle for brightening/darkening the tone, which is good for me because I can't stand stuff that I have to keep tweaking.

It is set (at the factory) to be very distorted, with the gate creeping in when you turn the volume down on your guitar. What is nice is that the gate keeps it silent in the chain.

It played brilliantly with the Twin I tested it out with in the shop, and sounds equally good through my orange.

Kind of brighter and with clearer separation between notes than say a big muff. Very fun thats for sure.

Never had anything from Walrus before, but I'll keep an eye out for their stuff in future.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    I like their stuff. HNPD
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    I've had a bit more time to play with this and wow, really enjoying this pedal! A quick update:

With the guitar volume down a bit you can get this great gated bit crushed tone that is really expressive, turn it up a bit more and its a fuzz that is sharp and cutting with great separation and great for chording, and then fully up it is ferociously fuzzy, but still more articulate than most fuzzes I've tried.

Boosted with a tubescreamer it can get a bit bright, but flipping the thick/thin switch or moving to a neck pickup sorts that out completely. It also plays really nicely with a wah.

I've been setting up a simple loop using a more bit crushed tone and then boosting it and having a ridiculous amount of fun soloing over it - I've had quite a loud afternoon!