Dave Grohl to release 23 minute instrumental song.. Video added

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited August 2018
    I enjoyed it. You can see where his strengths and weakness lie; he's not afraid to put everything on the table for all to see. And he really loves doing it; I wish I had half the passion he does haha.

I think there were some really interesting rhythmic ideas, time signature changes and so on; but it was harmonically a bit bland. Given that 3 guitars were basically just playing the same thing at most points seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Other than that though; really great. You can hear throw backs to the first Foo Fighters record in the ideas I think. (he also played everything on that, for those not familiar with Foo Fighters lore)

And the drums sounded fucking massive. Generally a great quality recording; sounds like a benchmark for rock studio work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7294
    I didnt make it all the way through the whole thing, it all sounded fairly decent and everything but not enough to keep my attention over that length of track, I feel like this would have been better distilled into 2 or 3 foos songs.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    edited September 2018
    He’s a god!

I’d like to knows how many takes and how many drop-ins (are they still called drop-ins? Were they ever called drop-ins). 

I find it hard to remember my own 3 minute, 4 chord pop songs so it amazes me how anyone can do a 23 minute instrumental! 

Toward the end, it reminded me of Breadfan by Budgie.