What's so special about this?

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
edited August 2018 in Guitar
https://m.thomann.de/gb/gibson_citation_na.htm?o=0&search=1533301074 ;

I don't see what can make a guitar this price unless it's vintage or previously owned by someone famous. Surely it didn't cost Gibson anywhere near that price to make it. And why would it cost nearly £3000 less for it in a different colour.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    It's for the tinkerers amoungst us, you get to fit your own choice of aftermarket pickups without having to deal with the old set first.    ;-)

Or,

It's a truely hand crafted guitar with a hand carved and tuned top and back. The finest of materials used by skilled craftsmen and marked up by Gibson. remember that the most valuable guitars tend to be acoustics rather than thos modern 1950s designs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    ESBlonde said:
    It's for the tinkerers amoungst us, you get to fit your own choice of aftermarket pickups without having to deal with the old set first.    ;-)

Or,

It's a truely hand crafted guitar with a hand carved and tuned top and back. The finest of materials used by skilled craftsmen and marked up by Gibson. remember that the most valuable guitars tend to be acoustics rather than thos modern 1950s designs.
    Yes I suppose it can't be too easy to make one of those by hand. Although I think that's absurdly priced when one of those burst les pauls is about ten times as much!  :o
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Never sure if it was hype or a rumour, but regarding the original Citations made during the 70's, I was told they were built by one luthier - When he retired, or died, that was the end of the model as no other builder had the ability, or experience to build such a guitar - can anyone shed any light on this

It was the flag ship model in the archtop line, to sit above the Super 400 and L5 - Some tagged it the Strad of archtop models

Not sure who at Gibson has the skill level to build such guitars today, but many hand built arch top guitars from the USA now have similar price tags, be it Benedetto, Buscarino etc - far more skill in building such guitar compared with a CNC approach to knocking out a shed load of Tele bodies

As for 3k difference in price - Gibson have often charged more for an all natural model - Harder to find a spruce top and maple back/sides that are free of any blemish, stain etc  As such it has to be so clean and perfect - Minor mineral stains can be covered with a burst finish - I dare say other builders and/or finishers on here can add more to this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    Most of that price is simply Gibson custom shop markup. They can and they do because most guitarists are lame label snobs.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10601
    tFB Trader
    £22,000 quid over a Les Paul gets you a maple neck with a volute ... so the headstock won't fall off :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    edited August 2018
    I know it sounds crazy but you probably wouldn't lose money on a Citation, it's a bit like buying Ronaldo. 
  • Wish all Gibson's we made with this level of skill and passion
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Wish all Gibson's we made with this level of skill and passion
    I doubt you would, as they would cost more than (pretty much) anyone would pay for an electric guitar. 
  • Wish all Gibson's we made with this level of skill and passion
    I doubt you would, as they would cost more than (pretty much) anyone would pay for an electric guitar. 
    Passion costs nothing. Just a shame that here is a snippet of what Gibson could do 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    It is priced at that level because it is exclusive.  Today, nobody really 'needs' a watch but people are prepared to fork out vast sums, in many cases way in excess of the price of the Gibson, for watches made by Rolex or Patek Phillipe. Shows the time of day as does your mobile phone but.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5446
    Rocker said:
    It is priced at that level because it is exclusive.  Today, nobody really 'needs' a watch but people are prepared to fork out vast sums, in many cases way in excess of the price of the Gibson, for watches made by Rolex or Patek Phillipe. Shows the time of day as does your mobile phone but.....
    ^^ this - the price of things tends to be mostly unrelated to what they actually cost to make. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    My other guitar building friend made a benedetto style archtop, it took him 2 years part time and it's a work of art, i still need to finish it

Anyway whilst in guitar guitar they had an 8k gibson one, we asked to have a go and it was just dead compared to my friends, Gibson trades off that name imo 

I honestly don't think mass produced will ever get made as well as someone who cares about the whole build, time and money don't come into it, it's about making it the best you can with the best materials you can buy, admittedly most won't give a shit so won't pay the money
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    I hardly think you can call a Citation mass produced, or say that they don't care about it. 

I'm also sceptical about the whole "my mate's guitar is better than any Gibson" thing - I've heard it countless times over many decades and it's been utter bullshit every time. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020