Power supply help

What's Hot
JotaJota Frets: 465
After a few years with just a 1 Spot, I'm having some noise issues with my board so I'm thinking about getting an isolated power supply.
I want to feed a Fulltone Octafuzz (reverse polarity) so I really need isolated outputs.
My first choice would be the Truetone CS6 but I may consider something cheaper.
There was a thread some months ago about a power supply that Thomann now sell under the Harley Benton brand called ISO-1 Pro. Does it really have isolated outputs? Seems too good to be true for the price...
https://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_1_pro.htm
Right now I have a mix of digital and analog pedals and I only have noise cause I needed a bigger daisy chain and this one makes noise when I step on the pedals or move the plugs. Other than that, the 1 Spot has been flawless.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I haven’t tried that one but the cheaper power plant jr does have isolated outputs 
    https://m.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm

I’m sure the bigger power plant isn’t isolated but I would assume that’s the reason for the new iso model.  It would be pretty weird if it isn’t given the name and description - I might try one next time I order something from Thomann 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I would say, do some saving, buy a Strymon Zuma and have done with it forever. More outputs than you’ll need, switchable voltage on 2 channels, all fully isolated and quiet as the grave.

Its also powerful as they come, each channel offers 500mah, and you can plug it in anywhere in the world, if ever you do need to. 

Not only that but if you ever wanted to expand, you can daisy chain an Ojai to it for another 5 isolated outputs.  

Its £250 of moneys that you’ll feel is a lot for something as dull as a power supply. But you’ll be sorted for many years. Think of it as a ‘sound’ investment.. hehe see what I did there.

I’m glad I did. Before I would use 3 boss psa adaptors for my 3 pedals (at the time) and I didnt notice they were actually adding some low level hum/buzz. I figured that would have been as clean as I could have got. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The T-Rex range is really good, I use the Junior version with 5 outputs as I don't use a lot of effects but they have different versions for different power consumption. The power supply is the thing you should least scrimp on. The Voodoo Labs ones are also mean to be good but I've never used one.
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    I had the Powerplant Jr. but I need more mA per output to feed a Boss MS-3.
    I'm looking into these two cause they fit under my board. I need that flat, slim design.
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    I'd go for the ISO2 version...pretty much the same size as the 1 and just a few quid more.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I'd get a used cioks dc10 personally or a powerfactor 2
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited August 2018
    skunkwerx said:
    I would say, do some saving, buy a Strymon Zuma and have done with it forever. More outputs than you’ll need, switchable voltage on 2 channels, all fully isolated and quiet as the grave.

Its also powerful as they come, each channel offers 500mah, and you can plug it in anywhere in the world, if ever you do need to. 

Not only that but if you ever wanted to expand, you can daisy chain an Ojai to it for another 5 isolated outputs.  

Its £250 of moneys that you’ll feel is a lot for something as dull as a power supply. But you’ll be sorted for many years. Think of it as a ‘sound’ investment.. hehe see what I did there.

I’m glad I did. Before I would use 3 boss psa adaptors for my 3 pedals (at the time) and I didnt notice they were actually adding some low level hum/buzz. I figured that would have been as clean as I could have got. 

FWIW GuitarGuitar and Gear4 are each peddling Zumas at £192...

*EDIT - just double checked and they're the littler ones with (just) 5 outputs, and I'm an unobservant Hampton*
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    Outside contender…Vitoos ISO4. Look it up, £25 and 8x500mA isolated outputs.
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    edited August 2018
    I have a burkey flatliner. It’s got 8 isolated DC outputs (2 of them are 9-12 variable), and one awesome AC output for my digitech whammy. Very useful. Quiet as a mouse. I love it. Some find it a bit large though. 

http://i.imgur.com/pfAnRiw.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    viz said:
    I have a burkey flatliner. It’s got 8 isolated DC outputs (2 of them are 9-12 variable), and one awesome AC output for my digitech whammy. Very useful. Quiet as a mouse. I love it. Some find it a bit large though. 

@viz my car is smaller than that!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    edited August 2018
    viz said:

@viz my car is smaller than that!
    I bet it’s not as heavy either - this thing weighs a tonne!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    Outside contender…Vitoos ISO4. Look it up, £25 and 8x500mA isolated outputs.
    Pretty sure it's 4x outputs, not 8x, but I've been wrong plenty of times before!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    I agree with @skunkwerx in principle, if not specifically on the Strymon. If you're going the "serious PSU" route you probably should go for the best you can afford unless there's a really good reason not to (and no, "there's a cheapo Chinese thing that *might* do the job" isn't a good reason).

I got a True Tone CS7 a while back, and it was well worth the investment. Totally unsexy, and feels like a boring thing to buy when there are so many interesting pedals, guitars and amps out there, but it should be a one-time spend.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    These days there are a lot of good power supplies.  I've been using a Decibel 11 Hot Stone Deluxe for a few years now.  Copes with all my pedals fine - and that includes 2 big Strymons and a POG 2.