Fender date stamps - Advice needed.

What's Hot
Im currently interested in a pre CBS fender student model guitar. Looks like it could be a fun project. The guitar itself is in pretty poor condition but looks mostly original. However their is no date stamped or written on the neck. Is it normal to find an old fender neck without this? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopig said:
    Fender necks always had stamps I'm sure. From the Broadcaster and on. Here's mine on a '64 Duo-sonic:

It's actually a Duo-sonic that I'm looking at but has not stamp or anything on it
  • The neck is also a slab board 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited August 2018
    Pre 62 (I think and stand to be corrected) the dates were written in pencil.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    They often disappear in a neck re-fin, especially the pencil ones. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The neck is also a slab board 
    Do you know what year it's meant to be?
    What kind of fender is it? You can usually marry the year to a slab as each model had a limited lifespan with slab boards
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    Some old Fenders had no neck dates, lots of 59s had no dates...…...so if its a 59 duo sonic say its possible it never had a date.

If the decal and neck finish is original, and its a 59, its possible it never had a pencil date
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    edited August 2018
    If it’s a short-scale (22.5”/21-fret) neck it’s genuine - no-one would go to the trouble of faking one, even a complete 50s Duo-Sonic in good condition is only worth around a grand and a half.

(Edit - unless it’s a modern reissue which has been ‘aged’ - but these are easy to identify because they only have *20* frets not 21.)

If it’s a 24” scale (Duo-Sonic II, 1964 onwards) with a slab board it would have to be later, they reverted to slab boards briefly in 1966 on some short-scale necks. Duo-Sonic IIs with the 22.5” neck do exist, but it would be a round-lam board if it’s pre-CBS.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein