Good budget headphones for guitar?

What's Hot
RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
My AKG headphones are f*cked. So I need some new ones to use with Helix and/or Mac for monitoring / general music enjoyment.

Not looking to spend a fortune....whats good bang for buck at the moment? Up to £100?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I just bought some Audio Technica M40x for a similar purpose and I’m very impressed with them. Have found I’m using them more than my more expensive “leisure” cans even for general listening. 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Only thing I'd suggest is make sure you buy open backed headphones (if your situation permits). They're a lot less strenuous on the ears in my experience, and if you're going to be practicing/playing for a long period of time, it might be worth considering.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    dindude said:
    I just bought some Audio Technica M40x for a similar purpose and I’m very impressed with them. Have found I’m using them more than my more expensive “leisure” cans even for general listening. 
    Yeah they look alright actually.... Are they fairly flat response?
    Tenebrous said:
    Only thing I'd suggest is make sure you buy open backed headphones (if your situation permits). They're a lot less strenuous on the ears in my experience, and if you're going to be practicing/playing for a long period of time, it might be worth considering.
    Thanks. Open backs are an option as I'd be using them exclusively at home (probably) and disturbing others isnt an issue. 

Any suggestions?  

Grado SR80e get great reviews, but they seem quite small (physically)
  • Grado SR60- the best sounding headphones I've ever owned .
    Grado SR60- the best sounding headphones I've ever owned .
    Are they comfortable?
    RMJ said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Thanks. Open backs are an option as I'd be using them exclusively at home (probably) and disturbing others isnt an issue. 

Any suggestions?  

My favourite are the Philips Fidelio X2's, but they're a bit out of budget. I have seen them go on sale for sub £130 before, so if you find em around that price & can stretch, I'd say they're definitely worth it.

Nice long cable, INCREDIBLY comfortable, and just a great sound overall. I prefer them to my HD600s.
    Tenebrous said:
    RMJ said:
    Tenebrous said:

Any suggestions?  

My favourite are the Philips Fidelio X2's, but they're a bit out of budget. I have seen them go on sale for sub £130 before, so if you find em around that price & can stretch, I'd say they're definitely worth it.

Nice long cable, INCREDIBLY comfortable, and just a great sound overall. I prefer them to my HD600s.
    170 on Amazon at the moment. I will use them alot so willing to stretch for the right ones...
    RMJ said:
    Tenebrous said:
    RMJ said:
    Tenebrous said:

Any suggestions?  

170 on Amazon at the moment. I will use them alot so willing to stretch for the right ones...

I paid £230 for mine & consider them to have been worth every penny. They're a little bit on the warm side compared to pure reference headphones, but I like that for longer listening sessions.
    Tenebrous said:
    RMJ said:
    Tenebrous said:
    RMJ said:
    Tenebrous said:

Any suggestions?  

I paid £230 for mine & consider them to have been worth every penny. They're a little bit on the warm side compared to pure reference headphones, but I like that for longer listening sessions.
    Thanks for tip off. 

Am I better off going for headphone amp with helix?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    AKG K702       £109 at amazon at the moment and amazing headphones, very comfortable and accurate. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    RMJ said:
    dindude said:
    Yes as flat as I’ve heard for the cash.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    RMJ said:
    Grado SR60- the best sounding headphones I've ever owned .
    Are they comfortable?
    Don't know about the SR60s but my SR80s are really uncomfortable for anything longer than about 15 minutes. Think it's the small cups and thin foam padding, it makes them dig into your ears/side of head.

I like the Beyerdynamic DT770. They're so comfy and sound good, they feel like they have quite a "wide" sound for headphones.
  • I use Kos’s Porta Pros. They’re comfy, open, and sound amazing for the price. They look like 80s Walkman headphones, but don’t let that fool you!
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    RMJ said:
    dindude said:
    I'm also interested in whether these are fairly flat response. A mate recommended them for when the 50s were out of budgetary reach. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    Ok have narrowed down to these. The Veterans are 250ohm and I understand the helix headphone amp is more than man enough to drive them. Seems like a good option at 100 quid...

Any other wisdom before I pull the trigger?

beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Studio Headphones https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aHaABb3825CE4

AKG K701 Reference Class Open-Back, Over-Ear Premium Headphones https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kOaABbED75DE4

Philips Fidelio X2 Hi-Res Headphones Premium Design (Over-Ear, Velvet Cushions, 3 m Cable) - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MRUPSHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_csaABbCC3F934
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The headphones I'd recommend regardless of budget - Audio Technica M50 - are only £113.

I prefer them to headphones that cost me nearly 3 times that.

The audio engineer who invented the parametric EQ - George Massenburg - once said they're the only headphones he'd use for mixing.

You'll also see them in use in countless photos or videos from the top studios in the world.

So for £13 more than what you would pay to get "budget headphones" you can actually get what are considered worthy of use by the top pros and even considered the best by some.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    I have Audio Technica M50x's that I use with my Atomic Amplifire. They sound great.
    Cheers guys. 

I went for beyerdynamic open back in the end. High impedence, which I understand the helix is man enough to drive, and reportedly very comfortable. Sound leak isnt an issue where I'll be using them. 

Will let you know how I get on
    Received the beyerdynamic 990s this morning and have had a quick play through helix and listed to some tunes through phone. 

Really good. Have to pump volume up to drive them...I bought the 250ohm versions...but they sound fabulous. And VERY comfy!