New Neck Day - Musikraft/MJT ahoy!

My much-messed-with strat hadn't had a spec change for about 5 years, so earlier this year I realised I should probably start messing with it again, and given a combination of a long-term plan to get the whole thing a nitro finish, plus a hankering for a slightly different neck profile & fretboard radius, I bought this...

It's a Musikraft neck finished by MJT, broadly in line with Fender's US standard specs, but the fretboard is made from "brazilian walnut", which was reclaimed from the Coney Island boardwalk after hurricane sandy. Apparently different people have called a number of different woods braz wal, so I'm not sure *exactly* what it is, but it's a lovely looking piece of wood, and not far off the colour of the rosewood board on my La Cabronita.

It's the one without strings on in the below. My existing strat is the dark (possibly stained?) rosewood from a CP60's, and the Cabronita is the lighter rosewood at the top. 

I fitted it quickly last night - all very easy. Frets are nicely levelled and dressed and the nut is already almost perfect, which is really impressive. I went for Musikraft’s “heavy rolled” edges, which are pretty good, though not perfect. The edges around the lower frets are rolled what I would call a medium amount, and the edges above the 15th fret are really heavily rolled, which seems a little unnecessary since there’s no way that could happen naturally on a Strat, but never mind! 

I will give the low-end edges a bit more attention and smoothing as that’s really where the most benefit is. Frets also need a good polish and the truss rod will need to be tightened once it’s settled with strings on. 

And for reference, the old Strat board (as factory plus a few years of play wear) and the Cabronita, as-rolled by @WezV ;

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Looks great. Have you perceived much change in the sound ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27143
    DrBob said:
    Looks great. Have you perceived much change in the sound ? 
    Early days (ie guitar needs a setup!) but it's a bit snappier than the rosewood. How much is the change in fretboard wood, versus round-lam/slab (new/old) versus "just a different neck with inherently different resonant characteristics" I don't know, but there's a smidge more attack I think. Similar to how ebony gives you a bit more snap than rw, only a bit less pronounced. 

Either way I like how it sounds. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27143
    edited August 2018
    The only vaguely negative thing really is the colour of the finish on the maple. Ideally I'd have liked it a little darker, but knowing that MJT have a tendency to make everything a bit orange I went for clear coat, figuring I can add a coat or 2 of amber at a later date if needed. Equally, the sunshine here is nuts and has already caused my old strat neck to go a couple of shades darker just by sitting 6 feet from a window not even in direct sunlight, so that might be enough to make this one the perfect colour.