Modding a guitar - Changing Nut and Colour

DanRDanR Frets: 1041
So I own a guitar i love to play but isn't really me anymore so id like to get it to how 37 year old me wants it and not 15 year old me.

I've been thinking about why it it gets so little use and its two points.

The main issue is that its a Floyd Rose as its never in the tuning I want to play in so I end up picking else up.

Is it possible to get rid of the locking nut and fit locking tuners to make life easier?

Next up is changing the colour as im a bit bored of the dark purple.

Is there anyone Manchester way that you would recommend to strip it back to wood so I can get an artist to paint it for me?

Cheers 

Danny

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Eliminating the string clamp by changing to locking machineheads might make string changing swifter but it will bring no change to the fulcrum vibrato tension balance. 

Unless the bridge is either blocked off or parked on the top of the body à la Edward Van Halen, slackening off any string will throw the other five out of tune.

For the amount of money that you are proposing to throw at this guitar, it might be wiser to sell it as is and purchase something more to your liking.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    @Funkfingers it is indeed set up like EVH.

For what I could sell it for and the fact its a better guitar than the Suhrs i've owned I don't mind it owing me more money.

I just want it more useable,