Going Wireless!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    I'm also assuming that if 200 mobile phones with wifi turned on was a huge problem then these wireless units would be useless in pretty much any venue and we wouldn't be hearing so many good reports about them.

Guess I'll find out at our next gig in two weeks  :+1:
    (the backup cable is already packed just in case)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arjailer said:
    With the Smooth Hound, each receiver has an id that the transmitter binds to so it'll only talk to it's bound receiver. The receiver apparently looks for free frequencies to use and presumably tells the bound transmitter what it's found so they can talk. This all seems to happen within a second of turning it all on. If something else comes along and starts using the frequencies it picked, it'll apparently move to the next free ones (it's always looking so it has clear backup frequencies in case this happens).

Not sure about other systems though - most of ones I looked at seemed to be either manual channel selection (e.g. Line 6 G30), or did auto selection, but it was then a manual process if something started interfering (e.g. with the Boss WL-50 you have to re-insert the bug into the receiver)
    As mentioned earlier my G50 seems to get picked up by bassist's G10 sometimes, esp on smaller stages, now we have to be careful when setting up who turns on their receiver first!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I occasionally had signal and interference issues with the Smooth Hound and I can only put it down to bandwidth... three of us were using Smooth Hound systems, the singer uses a Line6 wireless mic and the desk is an XR18, so if was pretty crowded in the 2.4 spectrum. Weirdly it only tended to affect me. I’ve now upgraded to a GLXD.