Do I need my guitar setup?

What's Hot
I bought my guitar 10 years ago (Chinese made Epiphone Les Paul) and had it setup by a guitar tech (also refretted, new nut, and pickups), but I never started learning until just these last few months. It's been in a case all the time -- do I need to take it in now for a setup or is it going to be a waste of money?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The things that could have changed by being in a case for 10 years are the things that are very easy to adjust yourself - check youtube or even just google.

I don't think any of the parts of the setup that require advanced techniques would be affected by being in a case for years so if the guy you went to cut the nut right I can't imagine it changing.

I've heard that if the wood dries out the frets can "sprout" out a bit so check if there are sharp frets.

Maybe someone else will know of a reason to take it to a shop but from everything I know about it, unless there's a sharp fret, it'll probably just be the truss rod that needs adjusted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    It would probably benefit from new strings if you haven't changed them yet.

Other than that, it's only really the truss rod.  This will give you some idea:

There are several videos on Youtube showing how to check the relief and adjust the truss rod, if that helps.

If the strings aren't miles from the fretboard, and it doesn't buzz when you play, I wouldn't worry too much.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14345
    tFB Trader
    if not used for a few years then chances are the neck might have moved and hence a tweak on the truss rod first

Restring first and tune up and play it to see if any obvious issues - either action to high or buzzing

You can check the neck relief quite easy - If you have a capo fit it at the first fret - if not use your left hand - Low E and keep it there - Right hand use your thumb on the last fret (Still low E) and keep it there and now look for a slight gap over the 12th fret - To big and the truss rod will need a tweak - no gap and it will probably buzz - ideal gap is just enough to see it, or there or there abouts

It might also need the frets cleaning - can get oxidised/dirty just sat there

Might need some lemon oil on the fingerboard if the board looks to dry
  • Great stuff, thanks guys.

When fretting the 1st and 22nd on the Low E, there is a gap above the 12th fret of about 1mm. There is less of a gap above the 1st fret when not fretting it (about 0.5mm), and fretting the 1st makes no difference at all to the gap above the 12th. When not fretted, the gap above the 12th is 1.5mm and also the 22nd about 1.5mm. But I was finding it hard to measure with a ruler so I dunno.

When I had it setup initially I had asked the tech for the lowest possible action with 8-gauge strings to make it as easy as possible to fret chords while I was learning and also force me to learn with a light touch rather than death grip. The strings do buzz slightly when I play it acoustically, but the tech had said that it wouldn't be an issue through an amp which seems true. But should I maybe think about adjusting it slightly higher so there is no buzz at all?

Just having a look on that link it says for gap above the 7th fret, when 22nd & 1st are pushed down should be .004" - .006" for jazz / lighter styles, .008" - .012" for harder styles / lighter gauge strings. But that seems crazy low, how can you measure the difference between 0.1 and 0.3mm even? My gap at present seems to be about 0.5mm. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Great stuff, thanks guys.

When fretting the 1st and 22nd on the Low E, there is a gap above the 12th fret of about 1mm. There is less of a gap above the 1st fret when not fretting it (about 0.5mm), and fretting the 1st makes no difference at all to the gap above the 12th. When not fretted, the gap above the 12th is 1.5mm and also the 22nd about 1.5mm. But I was finding it hard to measure with a ruler so I dunno.

When I had it setup initially I had asked the tech for the lowest possible action with 8-gauge strings to make it as easy as possible to fret chords while I was learning and also force me to learn with a light touch rather than death grip. The strings do buzz slightly when I play it acoustically, but the tech had said that it wouldn't be an issue through an amp which seems true. But should I maybe think about adjusting it slightly higher so there is no buzz at all?

Just having a look on that link it says for gap above the 7th fret, when 22nd & 1st are pushed down should be .004" - .006" for jazz / lighter styles, .008" - .012" for harder styles / lighter gauge strings. But that seems crazy low, how can you measure the difference between 0.1 and 0.3mm even? My gap at present seems to be about 0.5mm. 
    Feeler gauges! 

Though in my experience, tolerances like that need the frets to be level first, otherwise any high or low frets really make themselves apparant! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...