If I'm getting a Katana, do I sell my Blues Driver?

What's Hot
joetelejoetele Frets: 952
I'm getting a Katana 100 in the near future, and plan to have that as my amp for the foreseeable future. So, the OD/Boost effects button/knob has a Blues Driver which, to my ears, sounds pretty good and well balanced. 

So the big question - do I sell my beloved Blues Driver pedal? It would create space on the board, and the Katana's version is balanced the way I like it. Or do I keep the Blues Driver in case anything should happen with the amp, or I go to a practice without it one day and just use my preamp pedal at the end of the chain? 
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For me personally I would keep it. I don't think they raise a great deal of cash and you always have it as a failover. Even if you ditch it from your board temporarily it's always available as a backup,

Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    For me personally I would keep it. I don't think they raise a great deal of cash and you always have it as a failover. Even if you ditch it from your board temporarily it's always available as a backup,

Cheers
    That's what I'm leaning towards doing. I've always been a bit OCD about only having the pedals that are on my board, but most other players have the handful that they switch around or leave off the board. I just need to get over it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    I switched to digital and never thought I would go back.
    Then I tried a handwired Vox AC15 and the digital amp, as great as it is, has been sitting in the garage ever since.
    Hang onto it.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    Then I tried a handwired Vox AC15 and the digital amp, as great as it is, has been sitting in the garage ever since.
    Hang onto it.
    Yeah, I do love valve amps, but right now for me - until the kids are older, I don't imagine I'll own one for a good 10 years at least. 

Of course, by that time, the Blues Driver will still be working perfectly because it's a Boss! (hopefully the Katana will be too) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    Keep the Blues Driver in case you want/need to play somewhere where you're not using your own amp, and/or as a backup - not that I think the Katana is likely to be unreliable, but you never know...

It doesn't have to be on the board, but an overdrive pedal that gives 'your sound' through more or less anything can always be a get out of jail free card in an emergency.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    joetele said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hang onto it.
    Yeah, I do love valve amps, but right now for me - until the kids are older, I don't imagine I'll own one for a good 10 years at least. 

Of course, by that time, the Blues Driver will still be working perfectly because it's a Boss! (hopefully the Katana will be too) 
    In 10 years time, I suspect we will just have to look at our guitars, think of an amp tone and it will magically appear out of a virtual cloud.

A horrible but wonderful thought...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    joetele said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hang onto it.

In 10 years time, I suspect we will just have to look at our guitars, think of an amp tone and it will magically appear out of a virtual cloud.

I dunno, we still don't have flying cars or jetpacks and I really was expecting those by now. 

OK, I think I'll keep the Blues Driver. Especially if there are times I'm just taking my board and a preamp to practice / gigs etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4730
    joetele said:
    Hattigol said:
    joetele said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hang onto it.

I dunno, we still don't have flying cars or jetpacks and I really was expecting those by now. 

OK, I think I'll keep the Blues Driver. Especially if there are times I'm just taking my board and a preamp to practice / gigs etc
    You don’t have a flying car OR a jet pack. Wow.......
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    Hattigol said:
    joetele said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hang onto it.

Isn't that exactly how they did it in the 60s?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    edited August 2018
    I’ve got the 50W Katana and a Boss Blues Driver. My own experience is that the 刀 sounds rather better with the real physical Blues Driver than with the built-in one. Also easier to adjust on the fly.

Additionally, because the pedal has three knobs - Level, Gain, and Tone - it is easier to find the sound you want. The 刀 is limited to just the one which is probably best described as ‘intensity’. (Okay, I know you can go into the Tone Studio software for more but once you’ve got things set then you’re pretty much stuck with those settings.)

Keep the pedal.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    NelsonP said:
    Hattigol said:
    joetele said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hang onto it.

Isn't that exactly how they did it in the 60s?

I'm not sure whether I should Lol or Wis. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    rlw said:
    joetele said:
    Hattigol said:
    joetele said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hang onto it.

You don’t have a flying car OR a jet pack. Wow.......
    I think they are only common in the south, I don't think northerners have them yet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    joetele said:

Actually both of these now exist, but they’re still not very practical for personal transport - although flying cars are getting closer than you may think.

A bit like solid-state amps that sound and respond exactly like valve ones ;).

I think all of them will be achieved before the ‘electricity too cheap to meter’ we were promised that nuclear fusion power stations would deliver...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein