Strat back plate

What's Hot
I'm sure this has been asked many times before so I apologise for that, but what are the main pros and cons for not having the back plate on a strat?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Pros easier to change strings, apparently sounds a bit better, cons you might lose it or somehow pull off the ground wire.  I always take them off out of habit, then lose them.
  • munckee said:
    Pros easier to change strings, apparently sounds a bit better, cons you might lose it or somehow pull off the ground wire.  I always take them off out of habit, then lose them.
    If the ground wire came off mid playing would it affect the guitar at all before I can solder it back on?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14559
    Yes. Unless your skin were in contact with the strings, bridge or jack socket dished plate, your guitar would buzz.

Easy string changing can be yours by the simple expedient of widening the holes through the cavity cover plate. (I usually cut a rectangular slot.) Obviously, this alteration is not advisable on a vintage piece. Neither is losing the plate and screws altogether!

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    munckee said:
    If the ground wire came off mid playing would it affect the guitar at all before I can solder it back on?
    If it's your only earth,  yes.
    You can have more than one earth as a back up.
    I'm not the wiring expert but I know I've had that done to at least one guitar. I'm pretty sure my old Telecaster had the control cavity painted with a special coating and a screw driven into it as a second earth point. 
    @FelineGuitars did the work to my Baja so I'm sure Jon could explain that better than me.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24846
    Never understood the ‘off’ thing. Part of a Strat’s sound is the ‘natural reverb’ from the trem springs - with the back plate off, they’re damped by clothing, beer-gut, etc.

If restringing is an issue, change one at a time, or fold a cloth under the rear edge of the bridge to keep it in place when you slacken the strings.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    When you flip it mid solo and start playing with your teeth it looks so much better!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    All the cool kids take them off! 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    I wonder what Eric Johnson would do.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24846
    merlin said:
    I wonder what Eric Johnson would do.....
    Sell @Gassage his amp!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited August 2018
    Why are the two backplate centre screws offset is the real issue
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Never understood the ‘off’ thing. Part of a Strat’s sound is the ‘natural reverb’ from the trem springs - with the back plate off, they’re damped by clothing, beer-gut, etc.

If restringing is an issue, change one at a time, or fold a cloth under the rear edge of the bridge to keep it in place when you slacken the strings.
    I took mine off because the holes in it don't line up with the holes in the trem so I'd have to take it off to change strings.

Pretty hard to believe that the springs' vibration actually affects the sound that's picked up to be honest.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Never taken them off, couldn't think of a valid reason why I would need to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14336
    tFB Trader
    makes the guitar lighter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously I don't know other than an easier change of strings on some Strats - early 54 models with the round string holes on the plate and a real pain to remove strings
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    edited August 2018
    After taking them off to set the guitar up I rarely bother to put them back on to be honest. 

If I played guitar naked I might go and find it, but that aside I'm not really sure why I'd need one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    clarkefan said:
    Why are the two backplate centre screws offset is the real issue
    To stop you accidentally putting the plate on upside down, which would then make getting the strings through the holes impossible.

Leo knew musicians quite well :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I always take them off. Looks so much cooler plus easier for adjustments/restringing etc. It's a no brainer. The only time I ever put them on is when I'm selling the guitar.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    edited August 2018
    Strat backplates, like Les Paul pickguards, should always be on.

TBH, a Strat missing its backplate always looks like the owner doesn’t look after it to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2214
    The cool kids leave it off :) 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    Strat backplates, like Les Paul pickguards, should always be on.

TBH, a Strat missing its backplate always looks like the owner doesn’t look after it to me.
    Or doesn't know how to look after it at all, if he never needs access to parts critical to its setup. 

Two ways of looking at the same thing. 
    :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • When I built my Strat I never even put one on. Also, i don’t see how you could pull the ground wire out. Mine is safely under the strings and trem claw.