Maple neck on a Les Paul?

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
Is there a noticeable effect in the sound of a Les Paul if it has a maple neck? I’ve recently seen a discussion where it’s described as giving it more ‘growl’ which sounds quite interesting and right up my street tbh.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72564
    In my opinion, yes.

I wouldn't quite describe it as 'growl', but they do sound less middy and woody than the mahogany-neck ones - it's a harder, more 'ringing' sound.

They also have significantly less of a tendency for headstock detachment as well ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14560
    The maple neck is associated with the Norlin ownership period. Unfortunately, the neck construction and timber choice was not the only feature that deviated from the original specs (or, for that matter, the late Sixties re-issue run). It is difficult to say how much any single detail change contributed to the overall sound.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Maple neck not til later 70s. They were using a few interesting construction methods right enough throughout the Norlin era.

Not all bad though, don't believe the truth when it comes to those guitars as there were still some good uns - maple necks included (even if for the purists it's a bit of a mindbend:))

As ever, trying for yourself always the best way of knowing for sure.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11626
    tFB Trader
    A definite shift in sound - it hards harder, and the sound compresses less.
    More direct sounding to my ears - almost sounds bigger (doesn't mean better - that is all in the ear of the beholder)

For most things I probably prefer a mahogany neck on my LP style guitars (Feline Lions in my case), but there are times that the maple is good.

** Not everything has to be trying to be a 1958/9 Les Paul - other flavours are good

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14560
    shugz said:
    As ever, trying for yourself always the best way of knowing for sure.
    I have tried one. The other guitarist in my teens/early twenties covers band had a 1976 or 77 Custom. I never particularly liked the way it played or sounded. (The latter may have been the fault of the band's low rent solid state amplification.) He still has the guitar but very rarely plays it. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72564
    I think if I could have a custom-made Les Paul, it would be a mahogany-body ‘54-style Custom with a 2-piece maple neck, as was fitted on all the higher-end Gibsons in the 50s - so the Custom should really have had one! There’s just something I like about the sound and the feel of a maple neck - even through the lacquer, they feel different.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that my favourite acoustic is the Gibson Dove, which also has a maple neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    My 70s maple necked Les Paul sounds brighter than my mahogany necked ones but that may be due to many factors, all sorts of things have been messed around with on Les Pauls over the years.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10605
    tFB Trader
    My 70s maple necked Les Paul sounds brighter than my mahogany necked ones but that may be due to many factors, all sorts of things have been messed around with on Les Pauls over the years.
    You have to remember that these maple necked 70s LPs were fitted with very different pickups than their earlier mahogany neck brothers. The T-Top was a, low wind Poly wire pickup that has a more biting tone than the plain enamel wound 50s PAFs.
    The Delux had the mini humbucker ... again ... much thinner and more biting. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I have a 2009 les paul raw power, which has a maple neck, and maple body. To me it sounds slightly brighter than my mates les paul standard but not hugely different.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    i just tried a 72 goldtop of marcs at mojo and it is definitely a different sound, i compared to the goldtop i just dropped off to him

I think it's a brighter tone and maybe more harsh, it did sound and play well and I'd say try one if you can

i should have said this is a 3 piece neck, thought it was mahogany and maple

It's all subjective anyway
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)