Why no Red Special "alike" Guitars

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
Odd given the popularity of Queen we don't see any other guitars with a similar wood choice and construction method, trisonic pickups and switching system.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Because it's ugly as f***.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 26reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    Jack_ said:
    Because it's ugly as f***.

You beat me to it! Wis'd.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    There have been several companies who have copied it, with varying degrees of accuracy and commercial success. He’s got his own signature range now...

http://shop.brianmayguitars.co.uk/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11945
    edited August 2018
    I think I remember that most of the replicas avoided replicating the very high action
    (is my memory correct? I'm sure I read that the original has a very high action)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    The thing that stops me buying a JS/Evh/Jem etc. stops me from wanting a Brian sig. I'd get blokes down the Dog & Duck asking for Queen songs which we won't ever do. I have enough grief as it is. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28516
    Also the switching system has an awful lot of redundant settings, and probably too many options for most uses. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11945
    Sporky said:
    Also the switching system has an awful lot of redundant settings, and probably too many options for most uses. 
    I had a strat that I wired up with 5 switches, 3 to be able to switch each on/off/opposite phase, and 2 more to move them to series/parallel combinations. 
    Now I'd rather just have the "best" sounds to hand, and use pedal EQ, or active EQ on the guitar
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited August 2018
    Some luthier I follow on Instagram was making a really high end replica, can't remember which though, have a feeling it was Carpetienne or something like that.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited August 2018
    The trouble with a guitar which is ‘that’ distinctive is - regardless of merit - you’ll always be seen as a Brian May copiest. Which is great - but only if you play in a Queen tribute band.

And yes - it is ugly a f**k....
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I love the way it looks, I just don’t like most of the sounds from it. I couldn’t own one for the same reason most have given, but a LPJ double cut style with 24 frets and the same acoustic chambers may be interesting. 

I really do do admire the thought that went into it though.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2587
    tFB Trader
    I quite like the shape, but can't help thinking if I got one I would replace the pickguard, ditch the switches and pickups and just have two humbuckers and maybe some push pull functionality.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I think that the OP is referring to similar attributes rather than a copy of the guitar.

In terms of a Red special, I wouldn't want one unless I was in a Queen tribute band. I quite liked the look of those ones that came out in different colours a few years ago.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27138
    The Brian May-brand ones are great little guitars, but actually quite idiosyncratic to use, particularly since the pickups are in series, not parallel. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Given that production of the “official” replica is now in the name of The Man Himself I wonder how much of the design is under trademark/patent/copyright/whatever and how aggressively the IP is being protected. That might account for the absence of any obvious production “inspired by” or unofficial versions...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Could you get quite close with three trisonic pickups and some clever s/p switching?  Maybe in a loaded strat pickguard, wood choice and construction aside. "Inspired by"
  • RebarRebar Frets: 138
    With regard to the OP, I think the main reason we don't see more guitars based on the Red Special is because of the labour required in making them. The trem is more complex than, say, a Fender Strat and the blockboard body requires more work than a solid piece of timber. People like Dansan and Carpenteri make fantastic replicas, but with equally fantastic prices. For something which has a sound SO recognisable, it's probably off-putting to players who want more variety. Therefore, with cost and tonal range - together with a switching system which is an acquired taste - it has limited commercial appeal, in my opinion. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    In this video Brian May talks about using middle and bridge in series for 80% of the time, and occasionally some out of phase sounds. The switching could in theory be whittled down to something more practical

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    The obvious company to have exploited the link presumably were Burns. I guess at any of the peaks of fame of Queen they were no longer  a functioning company. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'd have one, but like everyone else am wary of people expecting me to play like Brian May (if only I could!)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself