Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

To Sell CD Collection or Not To Sell…

What's Hot

Comments

• Unless you need the space then keep them. Peope love to go through your collection when round for a beer or something. I onow I do it! Same with books!

You'll get almost nothing for them, so not sure of the benefits other than just the space! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited August 2018
    I’m going to get rid of some of the ones I’ve grown out of (Silverchair for example)

I had a quick look at ebay/discogs and looks like I won't get much for anything I sell anyway. I wonder is it worth the trouble getting padded envelopes, and listing on ebay etc for a few bob.

Might be handier to donate the ones I don't want to a charideeee shop.

Most are from Aussie bands I'm not into anymore...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    That's a good point, with a lot of the ones I got rid of I've deleted the MP3s because... I'd never listen to any of them ever again!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • That's a good point, with a lot of the ones I got rid of I've deleted the MP3s because... I'd never listen to any of them ever again!
    haha, yes. Me too. I'm going to go through my hard drive and get rid of digital stuff that's pretty crap. Granted there's not much, as I tend to only buy something I really want to listen to these days, but there are some stinker albums I'll never listen to again, so no point looking at them on the drive!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    If it was illegal to keep a ripped copy after you sold the CD then anyone who ever bought a CD from Amazon would be breaking the law. They give you a digital copy of any cd you buy, and they don't keep regular tabs on if you still own the CD. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I don't trust Apple or anyone else to honour any online purchases in perpetuity.  (I went with Virgin originally for MP3s and a year or two later they just pulled the plug).  So anything I value I still get the CD (also some legit downloads chop fadeouts and what have you, and the quality isn't that good).

And ... the sheer arse ache of ripping is time consuming (especially DVDs - I have a media player, I had a cunning plan to rip every DVD and then shove them in the loft as backup - but it takes ages)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Jalapeno said:
    And ... the sheer arse ache of ripping is time consuming (especially DVDs - I have a media player, I had a cunning plan to rip every DVD and then shove them in the loft as backup - but it takes ages)
    Seriously try this with DVDs, for example...

I've seen Scarface two or three times, I bought a Blu Ray for five quid, never watched it, do I need to see Scarface again, it's probably on sodding Netflix anyway and it's a lot more convenient...

Repeat ad nauseum through everything you have never watched or haven't watched in five years...

Even good movies you like, physical media on your shelf can be pointless!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    DefaultM said:
    If it was illegal to keep a ripped copy after you sold the CD then anyone who ever bought a CD from Amazon would be breaking the law.
    It is, and they are. (If they don't keep the CD.)

Of course no-one pays any attention...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Once I'm back from holidays , I'll stick up a list of the dvds and CDs in the classifieds, and you can all fight over them! :)
  • Well, I spent the weekend sorting and sorting and made a list of dvds and cds to move on. 
    I still have a box of cases for the ones I want to keep. Now, to decide whether to get rid of the plastic cases and just keep the inlay cards in the interest of recycling. (I'll have to keep the newer cardboard CD cases though...)
    It feels liberating thinning the herd!
  • I only buy Blu-Rays of films I really like and rip them using handbrake to go to my Plex media server, everything else I go to Netflix/Prime/Now. 
    I still have 100s of CDs I inherited from my dad (some quite rare Jazz recordings) but will keep them for my kids to inherit. 
    Otherwise Spotify all the way these days. Convenience is higher priority these days.
    Although when I get the chance I do revisit my record collection and go through the ritual of cleaning the record and stylus and listening in the dark
  • I still haven't "settled" somewhere to be able to put all the music back in their cases and on a shelf. That annoys me. :(
  • I still have 100s of CDs I inherited from my dad (some quite rare Jazz recordings) but will keep them for my kids to inherit. 
    If you can't be arsed to listen to your Dad's old Jazz CDs I doubt your kids will be :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Large hard drives are cheap these days so if you are going to rip the CDs in your collection, do so to FLAC or other lossless file system. Use Sonos to get music all over your house and take a digital out signal to a decent DAC for critical listening. Get a portable player that can handle FLAC files and copy the music you want to hear to it when you need music on the go. Don't compromise your listening experiences by using cut down versions of your favourite music.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Thinned the herd and kept my favourites, most of which are from the 90s... :/ 
    I guess I've turned into a "Dad", you know the ones who stop at a certain point buying new music, and that's it...
    I guess I've turned into a "Dad", you know the ones who stop at a certain point buying new music, and that's it...
    Fight the inevitable..buy a copy of my bands album..plus weve got an EP out soon. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    But now you have Spotify so you can listen to a new album and go "yeah that's pretty good"...

Then never listen to it again and go put on the records you grew up with. :)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Rocker said:
    Keep them in storage.  By all means rip them to a hard drive but if you are going to do so, rip them to FLAC or other lossless files.  Get a decent [inexpensive] USB DAC such as the John Kenny Ciunas DAC.  The OP asked if ripped files are better/worse than CD.  Through a decent DAC a FLAC file is at least as good as the CD.  I have read that FLAC is better than CD but any difference is marginal.  One thing for sure: CD is way better than low bitrate rips.  But you knew that anyway.  Common sense really.

Do make backups of your hard drive files.  It takes a long time to rip a large number of CDs.  Not a job to be repeated.  Ever.
    I can't understand how a FLAC or any other lossless CD rip could possibly be better quality than the source, marginal or otherwise.
  • Vinyl and streaming for me, not had a CD player for 3 odd years now.
    Me too gone back to vinyl and streaming. Most come with the download code so best of both worlds.....

• Keep them. I sold my collection (about 400 discs) and got £180 through magpie. I needed the money at the time though. I did keep about 30 cds. I do miss having certain discs.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.