Jazzmaster bridge - Decided on Staytrem, anyone have one before I buy direct?

What's Hot
MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
edited August 2018 in Guitar
I point blank refuse to pay the money they are asking for a Mastery bridge. Does anyone have any other alternatives for a replacement bridge for a Jazzmaster?

Thanks to the great advice, Ive decided on a Staytrem. Before I buy one direct, does anyone have one in 7.25 radius they fancy flipping?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12677
    Staytrem
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27220
    STAYTREM
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3270
    Staytrem every time.
    I’ve also recently tried the Jess loureiro on my JM and it’s interesting. Love the saddles -great tone and they intonate well. But the bridge doesn’t rock as it should and the string hole guides force it to lean forward. It’s a design with potential that needs another round of r&d.
  • Not had any issues with the Mustang bridge now in my Squier Mascis JM (not tried a Staytrem or Mastery).

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Not had any issues with the Mustang bridge now in my Squier Mascis JM (not tried a Staytrem or Mastery).

mustang bridges are ok but the can rattle (from my experience). 
    The string spacing is better on the staytrem and I I think the guitar sounds better with the staytrem over the mustang bridge. 

However. All my offsets used to be on staytrems, I had like 4 or 5 at one point in time. 
    I used to say I would never pay for a mastery bridge...

excuse the shit picture

https://i.imgur.com/D2abj61.jpg

basically I have used nothing but for the last... 2 or 3 years. 

One thing I will say is that they arent the most consistent product. I've had mastery bridges that rattle like a Spaniard's bed on honeymoon and they can be infuriating.
    But when they work, I really do think they are the best.

but if you cant go mastery, for me there is only one alternative. Staytrem
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep staytrem - had both on different guitars but would stick to that in future
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Got Staytrems on my Jag and mustang.. 
    String spacing works great.
    Before Staytrems I spent years messing about with locktie.... then Mustang bridges in various Jags and Jazzmasters which worked well, but Staytrem is hassel free.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Brilliant, thanks for all the valuable input. There's nothing better than experience.

Staytrem it is then.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Staytrem every time.
    I’ve also recently tried the Jess loureiro on my JM and it’s interesting. Love the saddles -great tone and they intonate well. But the bridge doesn’t rock as it should and the string hole guides force it to lean forward. It’s a design with potential that needs another round of r&d.
    Shame that, I was quite interested in these !
    Ah well I’ll keep an eye, maybe Jesse will further refine it 
    DrBob said:
    Staytrem every time.
    Shame that, I was quite interested in these !
    Ah well I’ll keep an eye, maybe Jesse will further refine it 
    It may just be the way I’ve set it up or because I’m using heavier strings perhaps? The frustrating thing is that it does sound really good, i love the brass saddles -I just can’t see it having the longevity that a Staytrem has.

I’ll be popping it back off the JM later today so you are welcome to give it a try for half the price of a new one, see if it’s just me getting it wrong!
    Are they string holes? They look like the holes left behind from removing the original saddles
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Are they string holes? They look like the holes left behind from removing the original saddles
    That’s the marketing spiel yes, ‘to prevent string slippage and ensure correct string spacing’, though looking at it side by side with a traditional jm/jag bridge I think that is exactly what they are @meltedbuzzbox ;. I’ve got to say it does add a lovely resonance to the strings, I’m a convert to the saddles just not the ‘string guides’ -might try stringing over the top and see what happens.
    It's kind of a budget mastery then in essence
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    On the JL bridge is the break angle shallow enough so that it doesn't hit the back of the bridge without the guides? 
    On the JL bridge is the break angle shallow enough so that it doesn't hit the back of the bridge without the guides? 
    Going to try this next and will report back...
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    Staytrem Staytrem Staytrem Staytrem Staytrem Staytrem Staytrem Staytrem Staytrem

Staytrem

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I just looked at the JL bridge. Looks like a cobbled together PoS to me - it's clearly a standard JM bridge plate crudely drilled to accept 3 barrel tele saddles. Looks like it will introduce more problems than it solves.
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    What neck radius? I like vintage Mustang bridges on a Jazzmaster, they are solid, good string spacing like the staytrem.

The Jess L bridge was done by numerous people on offsetguitars years back. Looks like he uses cheap bridge bases and cheap saddles. Something I'm curious to try though and have some spare parts lying around and will do soon.
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Still need to identify the bridge on my Jazzmaster , it’s not a staytrem but works like one and looks like one!!!
    blueskunk said:
    Still need to identify the bridge on my Jazzmaster , it’s not a staytrem but works like one and looks like one!!!
    Johnny Marr one Immy?