What's it worth?

What's Hot
King85King85 Frets: 631
edited May 2019 in Guitar
I've had this guitar for a while now and I really can't remember what I paid for it and have no idea what it's worth as there's nothing similar on eBay or the likes. There's a couple of old Reverb ads but I'm not sure how relevant they are as they both have a wide difference of price and were posted over a year ago.

As it's sitting around i'd quite like to sell it or trade it but I have no idea of what to put it up for.

From what I have found out it's around 30 years old and made in Korea, it's pre Fender ownership too.

It's got a ding by the pickup selector and a few general scratches about but nothing major.

Any ideas?

https://i.imgur.com/NKfqDvi.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5810
    This is a case for @TheMarlin ;

I’m don’t think that would have started life with those pickups or control knobs but since they’ll almost certainly be an upgrade from the bottom draw mudbuckers Gretsch liked to use in Electromatics until very recently, that is only positive for the value. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    edited August 2018
    Not a lot.  These early Electromatics are not very desirable as it’s not representative of Gretsch’s past. Not accurate to a Jet, no actual Gretsch hardware, just a generic Korean guitar. The only thing yours has going for it is has the set neck, a lot of these were bolt neck models. 

These often sell for £60.  On a good day, with a hard case, you might get £120. 

Current run Pro Jets (great guitars, fantastic Pickups) only fetch £250 used, £300 in a hard case.  

Gretsch are not the best for used prices.  Best to buy a used Pro Line, as you’ll not lose on it. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Oh that's a bummer. I think I definitely paid more but not sure how much though when I got it but I just liked the look of it and didn't know much about it.

Thanks for the input though.
    Buy some used Blacktop Filtertrons, bolt them in, you’ll have great sounding guitar.  That’s what I would do. , 
    There is one of this style that is worth a bit more. That exact guitar also came with Dearmond
    2K pickups. If you can find one of those, for under £100, snap it up.  Pickups are worth £200 used. 
    There's some Filtertrons on eBay now but I'm not sure id want to put any money into it as I don't really play it. Something to consider though.

Thanks
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1740
    edited August 2018
    I wouldn’t let it go for less than 150.

if your local n wanted to sell I’d be interested in it for 150 
    providing in checked out ok. 

The two that were for sale on Reverb were both around £240 one with a broke neck so I thought they'd be more in that region.

Where are you? I'm in the midlands.
    I’ve bought two, one for £60, the one with the Dearmonds for £85. 
    edited August 2018
    TheMarlin said:
    I’ve bought two, one for £60, the one with the Dearmonds for £85. 
    I'm not disputing you I'm just stating what I've found with regards to actual adverts. There's nothing live ad wise currently and not a lot of information on the model in general tbh.
    King85 said:

The two that were for sale on Reverb were both around £240 one with a broke neck so I thought they'd be more in that region.

You go and try to get 240 then. But that will never happen.

But what do I know

King85 said:

You go and try to get 240 then. But that will never happen.

But what do I know

I think you miss construed what I meant

I wasn't implying that I wanted £240 for it if that's how it came across. I was agreeing with you that I thought it would be worth more than the price TheMarlin mentioned and that £240 was the price I'd seen on the few posted.

I wasn't counter offering saying I want £240 for it. If you want it for £150 I'd be happy with that.
    I’m in Wakefield 
    Ah ok that's quite a way away. If you're ever down this way feel free to drop me a message.