Coated strings - what's good?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
I've been trying some Elixir Optiweb, and I'd say those are good imo, but just wondering what you good people like in the coated strings realm? Quite a lot of brands seem to be out there, so interested to hear any recommendations, cheers! :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7897
    I don’t like the feel of any of them. Absolutely hated Cleartones.  
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    TheMarlin said:
    I don’t like the feel of any of them. Absolutely hated Cleartones.  
    Thank you, each to his own, and fair enough there I'd say. For myself, I already know I like the Optiweb Elixirs, and the extended brightness is a real benefit, which I guess is why I'm keen to find out about other coated string types, and the options available. Funnily enough, I was contemplating trying a set of the Cleartones, since they are the cheapest coated strings on Strings Direct's website, and there's a favourable review. Maybe not though, from what you say.

Ernie Ball Paradigm sets listed on SD also - look intriguing - anyone tried those? 
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    Are D'Addario NYXL coated? I like them but they are  pricey.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893

Nope but supposedly have carbon in them to keep them brighter and cleaner for longer. So some of the benefits of coating without the plasticky feel

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I believe they aren't coated - just made with posh alloys and stuff for enhanced midrange frequency response, greater strength etc., to quote the D'Addario website. And why not - great if you like them.
  • I like Elixir Optiweb - last forever and as I sweat a fair bit they don't get rusty/dead.
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    Megii said:

I believe they aren't coated - just made with posh alloys and stuff for enhanced midrange frequency response, greater strength etc., to quote the D'Addario website. And why not - great if you like them.
    They did sound beefier than the regular D'addarios, but also much heavier in terms of tension. I put a set of 10s on and they felt like 11s. Great sound though, and they lasted a few weeks more than regular strings.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3517
    I put some on my acoustic, they lasted twice as long as uncoated, so I will be using uncoated on the next string change.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    edited August 2018
    Megii said:

They did sound beefier than the regular D'addarios, but also much heavier in terms of tension. I put a set of 10s on and they felt like 11s. Great sound though, and they lasted a few weeks more than regular strings.
    Maybe I'll try a set a some point, cheers @chris_john, and appreciate you mentioning them,  but at this point, I think I'm looking at specifically coated strings. Regarding string tension - I use 11s but not sure I'd want them to feel like 12's... dizzy 

robgilmo said: I put some on my acoustic, they lasted twice as long as uncoated, so I will be using uncoated on the next string change.

It's electric strings I'm interested in primarily, but cheers, and which brand was it you tried @robgilmo ?
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Megii said:

Both sets of nyxl i bought top strings went 1st outing... I am heavy on strings but never broke any other makes top strings on 1st outing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3517
    Megii said:
    Megii said:

Maybe I'll try a set a some point, cheers @chris_john, and appreciate you mentioning them,  but at this point, I think I'm looking at specifically coated strings. Regarding string tension - I use 11s but not sure I'd want them to feel like 12's... dizzy 

robgilmo said: I put some on my acoustic, they lasted twice as long as uncoated, so I will be using uncoated on the next string change.

It's electric strings I'm interested in primarily, but cheers, and which brand was it you tried @robgilmo ?
    Those Exlir things, they cost twice as much, didn't sound any better and lasted twice as long, I rather the devil I know.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    mr-mac said:
    Megii said:

Both sets of nyxl i bought top strings went 1st outing... I am heavy on strings but never broke any other makes top strings on 1st outing.
    That would have to be annoying, they are meant to less break-prone than standard strings. I doubt I'd have the same issue - I hardly ever break a string - but not good.

robgilmo said:
    Megii said:
    Megii said:

Those Exlir things, they cost twice as much, didn't sound any better and lasted twice as long, I rather the devil I know.
    Fair enough, can't say I blame you if that was how they were. 
    Anyhow, judging by the response, not many on here are fans of coated strings. I'm thinking I may well already have tried the best of the bunch with the Optiwebs, and perhaps not much to be gained from trying alternatives. Some decent online reviews of the EXP D'Addario ones though, FWIW.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited August 2018
    If it means anything I prefer the tension of D'addario EXP uncoated compared to other brands, they seem easier to bend
    Megii said:
    mr-mac said:
    Megii said:

That would have to be annoying, they are meant to less break-prone than standard strings. I doubt I'd have the same issue - I hardly ever break a string - but not good.

robgilmo said:
    Megii said:
    Megii said:

Megii said:
    mr-mac said:
    Megii said:

robgilmo said:
    Megii said:
    Megii said:

Let manufacturer know in case was an issue with batch (sent one replacement as only had wee inner bag with bar code for one set)... Guess what!!!!! Replacement snapped first outing pmsl.

At that point was getting 2-3 outings from most sets before an unwound went.  So far all 3 to snap first outing i find it hard to belive it was a fluke

edited August 2018
    Weird thing.. Bought cheap fender strings last time for my 335 copy and now on 5th packet all of them have lasted 5-6 weeks when i was getting 2 out of all other strings.  Have re-tried other makes and still the same crap length.  Go freeking figure (cos according to shop the fender strings were made by one of companies who's strings didn't last).
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited August 2018
    Strings are very much a personal thing, and personally I love them. I don't consider a guitar fully set up unless it's got a set of Elixir Nanos on. I actually like the slippiness, can't see why a sticky string is desirable, and I find they last about 10 times as long for 50% more money. I prefer the bright snap of a new string to the dullness of a used one. Even when the coating starts coming off around the picking area the strings still sound new because he rest of the string is still coated. I hate coming back to a guitar and the strings already have that black corrosion on them. I shall use nothing else. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12410
    Strings are very much a personal thing, and personally I love them. I don't consider a guitar fully set up unless it's got a set of Elixir Nanos on. I actually like the slippiness, can't see why a sticky string is desirable, and I find they last about 10 times as long for 50% more money. I prefer the bright snap of a new string to the dullness of a used one. Even when the coating starts coming off around the picking area the strings still sound new because he rest of the string is still coated. I hate coming back to a guitar and the strings already have that black corrosion on them. I shall use nothing else. 
    this.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    I've tried a lot of different coats strings and id say Exliir nanos are my fav's 

No doubt the first reply to this will be "cheap Chinese SHIT" but i brought a few sets of Orphee Professional DE Series strings at £2.90 a set (inc shipping!) from aliexpress and they are pretty dam nice

Now ive read a lot about the ball ends poping off of Orphee/chinese strings under full tension i can't give any feedback on that issue as ive only used them on floyds sofar,i cant give you any gig mileage info on the as ive only had them of a few weeks but after 2-3 hours a day for 3-4 days a week there still nice and bright and don't have any coating fuzz around the picking area.

@£3 a pop their worth a try

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    The only coated strings I've ever tried that I could stand were DR Dragon Skin - and even those felt odd, although they sounded OK.

They were of the 'dirty feeling' type - it's either that or slippery and greasy, which I detest. All the other ones I've tried have sounded either thin and tinny, or dull and dead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein