Any Southerners?

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm in Christchurch. That's the South, innit? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9675
    edited August 2018
    I'm in Christchurch. That's the South, innit? 
    Depends if you mean the one in Dorset , or the one in New Zealand...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 248
    Blackjack said:
    Blackjack said:
    Sounds like there might be the numbers for a proper SE “that” side of London Jam.

Anyone want to volunteer to be on the ground local organiser? 

I would be very happy to offer my services, with a bit of guidance from those who have done it before. Would be a pleasure. 
    Ok. Perfect.

Step one - venue - if you look on the main Jams thread someone mentioned Horsham - have a chat to them and me via PM and let’s see what we can do.
    I saw that @Fez was also willing to organise it so go with whoever you feel would be the best person for the job! I won’t take offence! Will leave you to decide @Bridgehouse

To be honest the more the merrier - see if @Fez can get a booking, have a PM chat and both do the honours - I will guide along the way and give you all the formula tips you need to get it going!
    @Bridgehouse, following various developments with my in laws health and their care as detailed in Off Topic, it would probably be best if I step aside with any involvement the running of the Horsham jam.  I just cannot guarantee how much spare time I am likely to have over the coming months and I do not want to say I will get involved only to then let you down.  Hopefully I will at least be able to attend the jam. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Blackjack said:
    Blackjack said:
    Blackjack said:
    Sounds like there might be the numbers for a proper SE “that” side of London Jam.

Anyone want to volunteer to be on the ground local organiser? 

I would be very happy to offer my services, with a bit of guidance from those who have done it before. Would be a pleasure. 
    Ok. Perfect.

Step one - venue - if you look on the main Jams thread someone mentioned Horsham - have a chat to them and me via PM and let’s see what we can do.
    I saw that @Fez was also willing to organise it so go with whoever you feel would be the best person for the job! I won’t take offence! Will leave you to decide @Bridgehouse

To be honest the more the merrier - see if @Fez can get a booking, have a PM chat and both do the honours - I will guide along the way and give you all the formula tips you need to get it going!
    @Bridgehouse, following various developments with my in laws health and their care as detailed in Off Topic, it would probably be best if I step aside with any involvement the running of the Horsham jam.  I just cannot guarantee how much spare time I am likely to have over the coming months and I do not want to say I will get involved only to then let you down.  Hopefully I will at least be able to attend the jam. 
    Totally understand - you do what you need to do. Don’t worry about small things like Jams.. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Dorking, Surrey.

Been playing 18 months, can hold the odd tune and want people to play with. Open mic at a pub in my town if anyone fancies it. But I can't sing.

Horsham or anywhere near jams would be great.

@Cols I grew up in Bookham, though I believe the border ran down it our street so it could have been Fetcham.
    No, it's West.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Farnham, Surrey. But I’m originally from Birmingham, so I’m officially a Southener. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    PC_Dave said:
    Farnham, Surrey. But I’m originally from Birmingham, so I’m officially a Southener. 
    Glad I don't live in Farnham.  Being that near Guitar Village would not be good.

I'm in West London so I guess I'm South.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Gagaryn said:
    I think of the south as the Borders and Dumfries & Galloway. :-)
    and the north is crossing the Thames.. lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • HAL9000 said:
    Depends if you mean the one in Dorset , or the one in New Zealand...
    It says on my profile, you know...  I'm the one with the beautiful harbour, the lovely old priory and the population of old gits. Does that help? 

• pmbomb said:
    No, it's West.
    That's the trouble with borders. I'm closer to Guildford than I am Exeter. I actually live 2 miles from the Hampshire border and the beautiful New Forest. 

I thought I was moving to the South West, but then I got told that Hampshire considered itself to be the South, and Christchurch is geographically Hampshire (it only got moved into Dorset with Bournemouth in the '50s to increase the amount of money in the county. At some point (East Sussex?) the South becomes the South East. 

It's confusing.... (sigh)...
    yeah you're right I'm conflating South with South East a bit. local accents are a guide on the boundaries - do born and bred Christchurchers have a south westernish flavour? Reading for instance does.

• pmbomb said:
    yeah you're right I'm conflating South with South East a bit. local accents are a guide on the boundaries - do born and bred Christchurchers have a south westernish flavour? Reading for instance does.

I wasn't making a serious point. It's not that important.

Your Q. Depends on their age. Older people (70+) have strong rural Hampshire accents. As you go west (once you're west of Poole you're into rural Dorset, mainly) then it isn't quite as strong to my ears and is a bit less obvious and softer. People in their 40s who grew up here have a more generic sound in their voices than their older relatives, but still that lilt to it. There's some vocabulary changes , too - but as an incomer, I'm a bit insensitive to it. Is it regional? Is it age-related?I just don't know. 

TBH, though, there are lots of people living here who are immigrants from London (like me) or Birmingham. If you shut your eyes in local supermarkets and just listen, you could be in London, Kent or Essex. Plus all the weekenders and summer holiday people...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    There’s still places at the Woking Jam - but it’s filling up so pop over to the Events forum and have a look - really nice venue and there will be some great people there ;) 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11300
    Clarky said:
    Gagaryn said:
    I think you'll find that France begins on the south bank of the Thames.
  • scrumhalf said:
    Clarky said:
    Gagaryn said:
    I think you'll find that France begins on the south bank of the Thames.
    And outside the North Circular Rd. After a lifetime of living between them both, I find myself where "there be dragons..". 

But, in truth, the Dorset/Hampshire border, right by the coast, is the right place for me at this point in my life and I love it - with the occasional trip back to the big city to see old friends or just hang out and absorb the buzz. If only there were fewer covers bands and function bands - or perhaps more to the point, a few more people wanting to do their own music instead of someone else's. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7010
    pmbomb said:
    Dorking, Surrey.

Been playing 18 months, can hold the odd tune and want people to play with. Open mic at a pub in my town if anyone fancies it. But I can't sing.

Horsham or anywhere near jams would be great.

@Cols I grew up in Bookham, though I believe the border ran down it our street so it could have been Fetcham.
    @pmbomb - you didn’t get far then!  Nice area, I’ve been there for 2 years now.

Happt to meet up for a jam; I can sing and play guitar, but not at the same time; it’s like rubbing my head and patting my stomach at the same time for me.
    @Cols - I've been away, circumstances dragged me back. But it's not so bad, Surrey Hills is an absolute gem of an area, bit of a hidden secret.

Will PM re a meet-up.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    pmbomb said:

I wasn't making a serious point. It's not that important.

Your Q. Depends on their age. Older people (70+) have strong rural Hampshire accents. As you go west (once you're west of Poole you're into rural Dorset, mainly) then it isn't quite as strong to my ears and is a bit less obvious and softer. People in their 40s who grew up here have a more generic sound in their voices than their older relatives, but still that lilt to it. There's some vocabulary changes , too - but as an incomer, I'm a bit insensitive to it. Is it regional? Is it age-related?I just don't know. 

TBH, though, there are lots of people living here who are immigrants from London (like me) or Birmingham. If you shut your eyes in local supermarkets and just listen, you could be in London, Kent or Essex. Plus all the weekenders and summer holiday people...

Originally coming from Devon, I wouldn't regard places like Bournemouth as South West.  I would regard them as South.

The Western part of Dorset is definitely South-West, but it's a big county (with not great roads).  If you put Bournemouth to Lyme Regis into Google, it gives a journey time of 1 hour 46 minutes.  That's longer than Birmingham to Sheffield takes, but you wouldn't say Sheffield was in the Midlands.

I'd regard Weymouth as South-West but that's an hour and 5 minutes from Bournemouth, according to Google.